What containers do you use for WCs and top off?

arc eye

Bay Area peeps! What containers do you use for water changes and top off and where did you get them?

I've got to move waste water from the tank to the bathroom and fresh sw from the garage to the tank. Best idea I've come up with so far are two brute cans on wheels, but I'd prefer something with a secure lid so I don't slosh and spill.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, guess I should specify I'm looking for water change containers around 20g and top off around 10g

i use an ottoman and found a plastic bucket (w/lid) that fits in the ottoman--as my reservoir for my top-offs.

Well I got a bug up my butt and went to lowes, home depot, and walmart. I ended up with the following for anyone else looking.

2 - 20g brute cans with lids (hd in Martinez)
2 - brute trashcan dollies (hd in martinez)
2 - 3g refillable water cooler jugs (walmart martinez)
1 - 5g refillable water cooler jugs (walmart martinez)

....case closed

I use the jugs I get from Neptunes. They're like square size. I only have a nano so 5 gallons is perfect. The buckets get a bit inconvenient. Never going back.

I have a 55 Gallon blue plastic barrel in the garage hooked to the RODI filter to store water. Next to it I have a 50G brute where I mix saltwater. The blue barrel is lifted off the ground about 1.5ft and has a PVC pipe + vinyl tube running into it near bottom. So RODI water runs down fine from the blue barrel into the brute.

Then, for WCs I use a 20-30ft long vinyl tube that I run from garage to the tank & a Mag 9 (or 12?) to push saltwater water to the tank. Before that, I use the same tube to drain water from the tank, by running from the tank to the bathroom sink.

For ATO, I still use 5G buckets to carry water over - I never got to finish my project to use the vinyl tube & the mag as external pump to push RODI water from the 55G barrel into the ATO reservoir under the tank.

i use an ottoman and found a plastic bucket (w/lid) that fits in the ottoman--as my reservoir for my top-offs.

Looking to do this on my new tank also.. Ran out of room under the stand lol.. Only can fit a 5 g bucket under there now.. I'm thinking of grabbing one of the tall ones like a leather hamper or similar and build it out inside with glass panels and set it next to the tank for my ATo ..

What size is your ottoman? How many gal bucket do you have.. Thanks

Looking to do this on my new tank also.. Ran out of room under the stand lol.. Only can fit a 5 g bucket under there now.. I'm thinking of grabbing one of the tall ones like a leather hamper or similar and build it out inside with glass panels and set it next to the tank for my ATo ..

What size is your ottoman? How many gal bucket do you have.. Thanks

I have a fairly small ottoman that I picked up at Target. They have bigger (and nicer) ones, but this was the right size since I don't have a lot of space around my tank for a larger one.

I measured the inside of the ottoman and bought a food-safe container (w/lid) that fit in it. US Plastics has measurements online for their containers, but then I found it cheaper on amazon.

I modified the ottoman and the container to fit the pump and tubing. Overall, I think the container is about 3-4 gallons. I refill it every 5 days or so. I think I could fit a larger container in it, but it would have to be customized. Customized = $$.

I think the takeaway from my experience is to be sure to measure the space you have, including the ottoman's inside/outside dimensions you need (or want).

I have a fairly small ottoman that I picked up at Target. They have bigger (and nicer) ones, but this was the right size since I don't have a lot of space around my tank for a larger one.

I measured the inside of the ottoman and bought a food-safe container (w/lid) that fit in it. US Plastics has measurements online for their containers, but then I found it cheaper on amazon.

I modified the ottoman and the container to fit the pump and tubing. Overall, I think the container is about 3-4 gallons. I refill it every 5 days or so. I think I could fit a larger container in it, but it would have to be customized. Customized = $$.

I think the takeaway from my experience is to be sure to measure the space you have, including the ottoman's inside/outside dimensions you need (or want).
Cool thanks =)

Back