What could it be?

Jblank44

My acropora started to chip away it's tissue. My tank hasn't been real good the past week, algae started growing like crazy. So I'm working on that. But what could be causing it to chip away? It has good flow and the parameters weren't bad except for 5-8 ppm nitrates. It has good extension and is open nice! And has good color! Hard to tell a little from the picture. It's like 6-8 inch under a 70w mh.

y2yqepa6.jpg

Sad to say but IMO, it looks like RTN. You can try to cut the healthy parts and save it......

Good Luck

Have you changed or not tested a parameter in your tank in the last 4 days. Added something, new filter media. I wish you luck, fraging a healthy looking piece and super glueing the end may save you a piece. Most likely unfortunately you will lose the entire piece. RTN

What could it be?

Have you changed or not tested a parameter in your tank in the last 4 days. Added something, new filter media. I wish you luck, fraging a healthy looking piece and super glueing the end may save you a piece. Most likely unfortunately you will lose the entire piece. RTN

Okay so I should just frag a healthy piece off? This sucks! So there is no way for it to come back?

I've had similar issues in the past. Sometimes fragging or super glueing works, sometimes not. See if you can correct any system inbalances, if any, it will help.I wouldn't think that level of nitrate would be a huge issue.My problems usually stem from a alk swings.
It could be anything starting it though, coral aggression, fish, crab picking, system parameters.It can drive you crazy finding the initial cause.
RTN goes pretty quick, sometimes over night or less.If you do frag, give a little distance from affected area.Last one I had with that size area, hit with super glue and it worked.
Good luck.

What could it be?

I've had similar issues in the past. Sometimes fragging or super glueing works, sometimes not. See if you can correct any system inbalances, if any, it will help.I wouldn't think that level of nitrate would be a huge issue.My problems usually stem from a alk swings.
It could be anything starting it though, coral aggression, fish, crab picking, system parameters.It can drive you crazy finding the initial cause.
RTN goes pretty quick, sometimes over night or less.If you do frag, give a little distance from affected area.Last one I had with that size area, hit with super glue and it worked.
Good luck.

Could you explain that last part lol so what did you super glue? The top part looks good! So I was thinking about basically just cutting it in half and taking the rtn part off the rock and putting it in the sand to recover... If it does. See, honestly I think it's something making it mad cause if you look in the bottom of the picture you can see lots of red turf algae. It makes me so mad, that's my favorite piece.

However, today I'm
Building my refugium. I'm putting in a 2-5 gallon refugium for my biocube. It will add some more volume and then I can have a phosban and protein skimmer! Weeeee.

Last edited:
Just put superglue over the white portion to stop the RTN.

I was covering the whole base of the coral so I decided to frag it up. We will se how that does.

ygusy5at.jpg

And if that doesn't work then my fault for letting my tank get to a state like that.

So I may know a little bit why, and maybe why I have some algae growth....

yhuzybu5.jpg

qyra5une.jpg

....yeah.... Look how old that bulb is....

Here's the difference
Old bulb
edy5u5a9.jpg

New bulb
ytu2yhy7.jpg

Back