What do we want to see change/improve in the future?

I want retail to try harder to save the live stock they receive. Make responsible purchases and refuse to buy from companies with poor shipping techniques.

It could be marketed in a positive manner"

Display these sick fish as fish in the "hospital". Ask for donations to help heal the sick livestock. And at this point teach the consumer about collection techniques, captive breed vs wild, etc. Offer these sick fish for future sale. This may tap into the hearts of some and could possibly drive repeat/return visits to the store to check on a fish. And grow an attachment to the livestock much like people do for dogs and cats. I am not saying this should be done with 100% of received stock but with a little more effort... Even finding nemo had a smaller fin... Lol sorry I had too!!!

I want retail to try harder to save the live stock they receive. Make responsible purchases and refuse to buy from companies with poor shipping techniques.

It could be marketed in a positive manner"

Display these sick fish as fish in the "hospital". Ask for donations to help heal the sick livestock. And at this point teach the consumer about collection techniques, captive breed vs wild, etc. Offer these sick fish for future sale. This may tap into the hearts of some and could possibly drive repeat/return visits to the store to check on a fish. And grow an attachment to the livestock much like people do for dogs and cats. I am not saying this should be done with 100% of received stock but with a little more effort... Even finding nemo had a smaller fin... Lol sorry I had too!!!

I think the key to what you said is "Making responsible purchases and refusing to buy from companies with poor shipping techniques"

As far as donations, probably going too far but you never know. Donations come into play when you are talking about rebuilding reefs or cleaning the ocean.

And no, we are not talking about rebuilding the reef in your tank :rollface:

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/eRHFy8FwEr0?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/eRHFy8FwEr0?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Very cool

I'd like to see a pampered fish store where the fish get the royal treatment and when you purchase fish, you get a little booklet about the fish you are getting including some info on tank parameters and good tankmates, and you get personalized advice on your tank - just bring in a picture and some specs and they will provide some tips to make it better. And providing proper carrying cases for fish so they have the least amount of stress on their way home. They would also work with hobbyists to have a local supply of various fish and even take orders of what customers would like and have fish ordered specifically for them :smokin:

My LFS does most of this, but I think a fish store with a more salon look and more decor would be cute ;) I'd go in just to look at the fish :D

What do you want to see when looking online and in terms of new thechnology in the industry?

WYSIWYG Web Cams. Instead of a picture of the fish/invert, a live feed of thier holding tank. Probably not feasible but it would be much better especially for sensitive species. You could get a better feel for the exact health of the specimen by observing it. This would especially especially hold true for S. Gigantea or H. Magnifica.

WYSIWYG Web Cams. Instead of a picture of the fish/invert, a live feed of thier holding tank. Probably not feasible but it would be much better especially for sensitive species. You could get a better feel for the exact health of the specimen by observing it. This would especially especially hold true for S. Gigantea or H. Magnifica.

Someone like LA DD could do that rather easily. The only problem is loading time... while its preparing to stream someone else could buy it!

i would like to see wholesalers and lfs stop importing livestock that cannot be kept long term. why the hell do they keep importing nudibranchs that feed only on hydroids? why do we import fish that won't readily take prepared foods (such as the cleaner wrasse)? Whey do they import sea pens and other invertebrates that are nowhere near suitable for the captive life?

Because people regularly buy them.

Because people regularly buy them.

Well that's the problem. People don't research befor they buy which leads them to buy the prettiest but extremely hard to keep specimen. It all comes down to having a better understanding of the sea, and only technology (Internet) can drive that for most people.

I must say though, my cleaner wrasse must be immortal because he has been alive for 3 years and eats everything......

Keep the great thoughts coming!

I think the more difficult the animal is to care for, the more it should cost.
How many green mandarins starv to death in noobie's tanks? How many would die if they cost $150 dollars a peice? I don't want to pay that much for one but if they did cost that much, I would make damn sure I knew how to take care of it before I bought it.

I would also like to see more lfs' be a little more honest instead of just trying to make a sale (not bashing all of them, just some). "Sure, buy this non- photosynthetic purple lace coral, it's super easy, just toss a little phyto in here and there". Uh hu, LOL, sure. It's my fault too for not researching first but they made it sound like a kenya tree.

I think the more difficult the animal is to care for, the more it should cost.
How many green mandarins starv to death in noobie's tanks? How many would die if they cost $150 dollars a peice? I don't want to pay that much for one but if they did cost that much, I would make damn sure I knew how to take care of it before I bought it.

I would also like to see more lfs' be a little more honest instead of just trying to make a sale (not bashing all of them, just some). "Sure, buy this non- photosynthetic purple lace coral, it's super easy, just toss a little phyto in here and there". Uh hu, LOL, sure. It's my fault too for not researching first but they made it sound like a kenya tree.

Collectors will still collect them and they will just sit in retailers holding tanks.

Let's keep this going. Great thoughts here!

I hear many people talk about education and ReefCentral has been a lifesaver, literally. I would like to see LFS offer educational classes on a regular basis. With a proper foundation, people will stay in the hobby longer, make better decisions, spend more money, and move the hobby forward. Getting a basic education on the fundamentals should be a precursor to buying your first SW tank IMO.

Back