What do you do with solid salt?

sinful

This is why I hate buying buckets of salt. I don't use it fast enough and it gets moisture in it and solidifies. I will stay with the individual air tight bags from here on out.

What do you guys suggest I do with a 3/4 bucket of salt that is now a rock? Drill or something?

I always get instant ocean purple box and if one of the bags have a small hole the mostiure absolutely causes it to solidify. However through my experience with old clumped up salt, the salt is difficult to use once you add it to your RO water.

It participates out and is cloudy and small granulas will not dissolve.

I am sure the salt is still "ok" but just a pain because then I have to rinse out the mixing container.

I try to use the salt I have stored much more frequently.

Maybe perform a larger water change to help compensate with the amount you have to use since you can not manually break it down? I perform 50 gallon water changes so the individual bags found in the IO box is manageable regardless if clumped up.

Can you use it? Yes. Is it really trash if you care about the composition of your salt mix? Pretty much.
Some elements will not disolve once bound by moisture without using an acid to make them unbind and disolve. Then you get to worry about the acid fix.
If it is just clumped and breaks apart by hand I use it. This normally disolves. If it needs a tool to break apart I trash it. Just my 2 cents on what I do.

Also good to note, try and buy salt at an establishment that has good turn over.

I have used it in the past. But on that tank I did have problem. I can't say it was because of the salt or not. I would say if it was a fish only tank Or a soft coral tank I would use it with no worries. If sps or Lps tank I would be torn as to trash it or not

I'll trash it. I've been battling Dino so I haven't done a water change in at least 6 months. Decided to yesterday and it's a 5g bucket of solid salt. Lol

I've never had red sea salt solidify on me. I buy the 200g bag and transfer it into 2 of the large size red sea buckets. In almost 5 years I never had it solidify not once. I've heard of instant ocean salt turning into blocks in the boxes tho

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Do you want a bucket? Never been opened. Feels like concrete. Lol It has been sitting in an air conditioned office for a few years.
Salts are hydroscopic and attract moisture. Some of the more pure forms will turn to liquid in only a few minutes sitting on the counter. Think magnesium.

I've never had red sea salt solidify on me. I buy the 200g bag and transfer it into 2 of the large size red sea buckets. In almost 5 years I never had it solidify not once. I've heard of instant ocean salt turning into blocks in the boxes tho

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The chemical composition changes when it solidifies, apparently. It would be fine for FOWLR but not for a reef is my understanding.

Back