1 Sailfin Tang
1 Yellow Tang
1 Purple Tang
1 Chevron Tang
1 Mandarin Fish
2 Maroon clownfish
1 Swallowtail Angelfish
1 Blue Jaw trigger or 1 Niger Trigger
Maybe a small group of some sort of Anthias?

Souinds good I would still run a skimmer IMO.. Also if it was me I'd add the yellow tang last of all the tangs they can be quite aggressive to other tangs when they've already been in the tank.. My previous yellow killed more than a dozen tangs I tried to introduce and most were twice his size..

Is this a Fish only tank? If you're planning any corals, that's a lot of tang for a skimmerless system.

2 manadrain would be awesome if you can find a male and female. Male has the long dorsal fin. I picked up mine 3 years ago and every night they get together and do their dance together to the top of the tank.

I just read an article about a guy who has a 50g SPS dominated reef and he has 30 fish but all of them are small gobies and such that stay under 3", he does 10% water changes weekly and has a oversized skimmer.

IMO, you are in for a world of trouble if you plan on keeping that many fish and no skimmer unless you are doing massive (maybe 20%) water changes weekly or more.

And Mandarins are not as hard as people think. The problem is finding a healthy one to start, Most stores keep them in the copper medicated systems so there is no pods for them to eat. I keep mine in my invert system where they get fat and happy eating pods,mysis, etc. They key is to buy a healthy one to start and if you want 2, get a male and female as suggested.

Have you looked up an adult Chevron tang? They get pretty ugly and are known coral nippers.

I am opposite of most where I enjoy corals far more then fish. Fish just add a little movement and a lot of heartache hahahaha

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14824203#post14824203 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Western_reefer
Not sure. Was thinking about getting no skimmer at all.

I don't think he's serious....:confused:

I guarantee you'll have problems if you're skimmerless. I'm saying this from a guy that likes to keep a lot of fishes. I skim heavy and do weekly 20-25% water changes and I still have nitrates.

your second list sounds good to me. I would get a good skimmer, get good amount of flow, do weekly water changes (at least 20gs), and feed light. but totally doable, I have more fish than your second list, and everything is doing fine.

idk if this will help you but, here is my stock list and what equipment filter wise i am using, and my water change amount, so you might be able to judge what you can have and such.....

135 gallon tank.
55 gallon refugium filled with chaeto, a 9" deep sand bed section, and 50 pounds or more of LR, then a 20 gallon sump, thats like 3/5's full, and has a euroreef CS 8-3 recirculating skimmer.
i have about 250-300 pounds of LR or more in the main tank.
i do 5 gallon water changes every third day. so thats like 50 gallons a month. but i do small frequent changes for stability purposes.

my fish list:
purple tang
yellow tang
clown tang
powder blue tang
blue tang
desjardini sailfin tang
4 clown fish
6 chromis
6line wrasse
spotted mandarin
and i think thats it lol.

when i upgrade to my 215 i will be having much much more :)

you can but i think it would be far far far more efficient to use one large skimmer, but a good one for that sie tank will prob, run you between #$300-$400. or so.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14830606#post14830606 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Underwaterparadise

Have you looked up an adult Chevron tang? They get pretty ugly and are known coral nippers.

Got a picture of one?

Back