What Fish to Get

Magga Pie

What are some good hardy fish to start off with in a reef tank? I had a little tang and that dissapeared when I went out of town. Then I got a pair of percula clownfish and the male died first now the female as the same thing the male had it seems.

Try reading first. Buying fish second.

Sorry to sound so rude.

But killing the first 3 fish you own is a pretty bad track record...no pun intened.....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12862263#post12862263 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by heyfredyourhat
Try reading first. Buying fish second.

Sorry to sound so rude.

But killing the first 3 fish you own is a pretty bad track record...no pun intened.....

I have read alot i read for 4 months before setting up my tank my tank has been up for around 3months. Im not someone who just goes out and buys fish. The first fish I had for a month and I came back and it was nowhere to be found in my tank. The clownfish pair that I bought I had them in my QT tank and they had something wrong with them already.

But its cool I'll go read some more I was just curious to see what fish might be a good idea. Thanks for the great help!!

Do you test your water?

I would think that if they had something wrong with them in QT they should have been treated and "cured" before entering the display...

I am not trying to be an arse, sorry if i sound like one!

I've had good luck with percula clowns and gobies. Pretty resistant fish overall. They are also not very agressive so if you plan on other fish down the line, it shouldn't be a problem.

Re: What Fish to Get

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12862087#post12862087 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Magga Pie
What are some good hardy fish to start off with in a reef tank? I had a little tang and that dissapeared when I went out of town. Then I got a pair of percula clownfish and the male died first now the female as the same thing the male had it seems.

clowns are usually pretty hardy fish
What are the ammonia and nitrate levels in your tank plus the salinty and temp?

blue green chromis
cardinals
basellets
gobies--not mandarine
blennies
are some suggestions that come to mind

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12862413#post12862413 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by heyfredyourhat
Do you test your water?

I would think that if they had something wrong with them in QT they should have been treated and "cured" before entering the display...

I am not trying to be an arse, sorry if i sound like one!

Its cool im just not happy that they died. I did treat them for brook while in the Qt tank.

I test my water
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-20(wet/dry)
Ammonia-0
alk-High
Ph.8.3

Oh yea I have a little goby had him or her for about 2 weeks its doing great other than that my luck hasn't been too great in the fish department. Corals on the other hand seem fairly easy

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12862471#post12862471 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Magga Pie
Its cool im just not happy that they died. I did treat them for brook while in the Qt tank.

I test my water
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-20(wet/dry)
Ammonia-0
alk-High
Ph.8.3

hmmm high alk high pH are you dosing with buffers by any chance?

yeah get rid of the bio balls, and i would wait for a while and see what happens with the fish you have.

Back