What frequency can livestock be added?

roper512

Premium Member
Assuming the tank is being heavily skimmed and you have an appropriately sized cleanup crew, what would you recommend is the most frequent rate you can add new livestock while still being safe?

I would imagine it's different for fish as it would be for say inverts and snails and such?

For example could I add in a whole cleanup crew, a couple shrimp and one fish at once in a 30 gallon? Or does everything need to be added seperately? If so how much time should go in between?

I understand that people say to add livestock slowly as to avoid a big spike in bio-load, but aside from bio-load, is there another reason to add livestock slowly? Is it also a stress related issue?

So I guess my question is, are fish the only thing that need to be added one at a time? Or does the same rule apply to inverts/corals as well?

Thanks

Right at first after you finish a cycle, it is always reccomended to go slow so the bacteria can catch up to the new additions load and waste.
By not doing so you will cause a cycle.
Corals arent a big thing to ad since there waste and load is minimal compared to fish. Same goes for inverts there load is als low.
You could add a whole cleanup crew, shrimp, but I would wait for the fish. Especially since the tank is only 30 gallons, things can go south really fast since their isnt alot of watr volume or room for mistakes.
I would wait for a week or so between each addition ( fish).
You have to be realistic also when adding anything, if you were to add 4 or 5 corals right away you can cause a problem. So go by your best judgement and go slow so you dont disrupt the system.

Understood!

Now, lets say you finished cycling your tank a week ago.. What would be the first thing you would add? Cleanup crew would be weird because they'd have really not much to clean up yet since no fish :)

How would you go about adding stuff if it was brand new and cycled? What order is what I mean..

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6509252#post6509252 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Blown 346
Right at first after you finish a cycle, it is always reccomended to go slow so the bacteria can catch up to the new additions load and waste.
By not doing so you will cause a cycle.
Corals arent a big thing to ad since there waste and load is minimal compared to fish. Same goes for inverts there load is als low.
You could add a whole cleanup crew, shrimp, but I would wait for the fish. Especially since the tank is only 30 gallons, things can go south really fast since their isnt alot of watr volume or room for mistakes.
I would wait for a week or so between each addition ( fish).
You have to be realistic also when adding anything, if you were to add 4 or 5 corals right away you can cause a problem. So go by your best judgement and go slow so you dont disrupt the system.

Yes I would add the cleanup crew first. Actually they will have alot to feed off. They will have algae, left over matter from the rock to pick at. They will be busy, plus they will help you get a head start on the algae blooms you can and might face.

I would add the cleanup crew first, a various of snails, maybe Astrea, cerith, nassarius, hermit crabs.
Than after a week or so of the levels being stabile 1 fish every few weeks. Remember the fish you choose ahead of time, since some will eat corals, and some will become very territorial towards other new fish.
You can add fish or corals. It matters what you want to add first. If you want to add corals add the corals that are the easiest to keep first. The more difficult corals require a mature tank and will be better off to be added later a few months down the road.

Ah yes good point on the cleanup crew.. All the fish/inverts I have picked out are all safe with each other and corals.. I made sure to pick things that all like one another so I don't have to deal with those problems (or hopefully not many)..

Thanks for taking the time to help :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6509391#post6509391 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Blown 346
Yes I would add the cleanup crew first. Actually they will have alot to feed off. They will have algae, left over matter from the rock to pick at. They will be busy, plus they will help you get a head start on the algae blooms you can and might face.

I would add the cleanup crew first, a various of snails, maybe Astrea, cerith, nassarius, hermit crabs.
Than after a week or so of the levels being stabile 1 fish every few weeks. Remember the fish you choose ahead of time, since some will eat corals, and some will become very territorial towards other new fish.
You can add fish or corals. It matters what you want to add first. If you want to add corals add the corals that are the easiest to keep first. The more difficult corals require a mature tank and will be better off to be added later a few months down the road.

Back