what is happening to my anemone?

There's so much going on here, it's difficult where to start. This may sound harsh, yet we're all concerned for your animals well-being & you succeeding in this awesome hobby. Your 3 month old tank was wiped out in March, yet you continue to add extremely difficult creatures to it w/o knowing your parameters or how to do a water change? STOP ADDING LIVESTOCK until you get a handle on what's going on in your tank.

1--Multiple carpet nems & others in a barely cycled tank. You posted this morning about the nem deteriorating & were given good advice to get them all out of your tank & treat them in a bucket w/ cipro (since you didn't have a QT). It's now 12 hrs later & you still haven't done it? GET THEM ALL OUT & start treatment w/ Cipro or Septra ASAP!

2--You're questioning how to do a water change & if you should change out filters...? Seriously...? What have you been doing since you got the tank up & running? With all the issues going on in your tank, I suggest you do at least a 40% water change. Just siphon out around 30 gallons & replace it w/ fresh RO/DI water.

3--You put corals from the beach in the tank & didn't QT anything? Kinda late to help w/ that...that probly contributed to your tank crash. I'd put them back in the ocean.

4--4 clowns together in your tank (esp. one being a tomato) is another recipe for disaster. I suggest selling that tomato & one of the occy's, or if you have a friend w/ a tank, trade them.

As I said before, I'd run far away from that LFS for giving you such bad advice of knowing you're a noob & still selling 2 carpet anemones (plus others) & 4 clownfish; & saying that's all ok in a newly established system. They clearly aren't very scrupulous or have the best interests of the animals at heart; only interested in taking your money & giving bad advice... Hopefully there are other LFS in your city to do business with...

Last edited:
I'm planning to make this my QT after I get it cleaned. How should i set it up? Should i use a new saltwater or use the one from the tank? What's the purpose of the dividers?

View attachment 277441View attachment 277442

Dude, believe me, you possibly need to daily change 100% fresh salter water for you ht for few months till your dt matures. Time isn't a problem but maturity is. Test your parameter and then make decisions. Or you can switch to ZeoVit system and follow the instructions strictly. It will allow your system to mature with 14 days.

About ht, go to a petco and buy a 20 gallon/10 gallon gold fish tank. It's cheap too, like 10ish bucks. double check your salinity=35/36 ppm. Read the sticker re the protocol of using antibiotics

I am from Davao City, Philippines. :(

Well, dude, now I know better your situation. I worked in Asia for a while.

Well, limited by the supply you can get locally, let's discuss a simple way:

1, go find a local veteran or doctor and ask them for some antibiotics

2, is Davao a seaside city? You possibly need to get fresh sea water daily to change 100% water of your ht. I scuba'ed in Sabang bay? Coconut ? The waters were fantastic. You basically can collect fish by your own

3, let your dt mature. Leave it alone. What light do you have?

Finger cross

Go to the New to the hobby forum and read the stickies, they will save you time and money definitely!

This +one million..

I think your first step should be reading all you can. You stated "how do I do a water change" and "do I need to change my filters". That's to me is a red flag that you need to do some serious research of the basics of the hobby.

You have some really good advice above and following it correctly is going to be a struggle if you don't have the basics down in my opinion. Not meant to be harsh but you will be constantly dumping money down the drain and killing animals if you don't know what's going on and trusting your local fish store to be honest with you.

Good luck with your tank hope it all gets back on track and read the new to the hobby forum you won't regret it at all. Stickies are posted on the top of the forum and ones written by sk8ter will help you out tremendously.

Hi. Just an update. I checked my parameters:

Salinity - 1.021
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 160 ppm
Phosphate - 2 ppm
Calcium - 400 ppm

I would remove the Magnifica and put him else where, treat or untreat. He is a goner. It would be a miracle if he recover with treatment. A dead magnifica can release nematocysts that can kill fish, but won't bother clown fish or coral.
I am not sure what Philipines aquarium store is like. I think most people here are from the US. Many of us don't know what kind of things that is available there.
I would do 20-50% water change every few days and hope for the best. Make sure the water is natural sea water or aged water after you mix them up. Natural water you can use it right away, or else you have to let it sit for about 4+ days before you can use it. After 24 hrs or so the micro animals in it died and can release things into the water that make it unsuitable for use at the time. If you put an air pump into the water then you can keep it fresh.
How much light do you have on your tank? What temperature? is it stable? What about top-off water? Do you top off everyday? Circulation?
Tell us about your tank. More detail is better. Maybe we can give some suggestion. How close do you live from the ocean?

Your nitrates is too high. I guess you have not change your water since you set the tank up.
Do water change and remove the sick anemone if you don't want it to kill your fish.

SG best keep at 1.025 or about a salinity of 35 ppt (part per thousand). what you have is OK as long as it remain stable. Don't add salt to your tank. If you want to raise the salinity, use salt water for top off until it reach the appropriate salinity/SG

I have not changed the water. My LFS told me that it doesn't need changing. Kind of disappointed that he was just ripping me off my money. For top-off, I use tap water because that was what I was told. I don't have access to natural saltwater. Can I do my own mix with artificial reef salt and tap water? I have also removed the sick anemone.

I am now setting up my QT. I have read the article posted on new to the hobby, and I'm a bit confused if I should use my main tank's water or if I should make a new mix of artificial saltwater.

I have two bulbs that says 12,000 K (daylight). The brand is Odysea.

Tear the tank down and sell what can be saved. Do some reading on the hobby and be informed BEFORE you start. Start the right way and be patient with the growth of your system as your research will lead you to do. It can be a very gratifying hobby but not the way you have jumped in. It will only lead to frustration, wasted money, and dead livestock.

It is best to mix salt water with RO water but if you cannot get RO water then use tap water. Using tap water you are at the mercy of the water company. There are many thing that is OK for Human but not so good for reef tank. I only mix water with tab water for my reef tank at the office but top off with drinking RO water.
Make sure you age the water for 24hr after mixing. Try your best with the water change. You likely bot having enough light for your anemones.
Since you live in the Philippine, you may have much better luck with anemone since they don't have to be transport for long distance. Regardless if you want them to do well you have to add light. You will have to worry about heat if more light is added to the tank

It is best to mix salt water with RO water but if you cannot get RO water then use tap water. Using tap water you are at the mercy of the water company. There are many thing that is OK for Human but not so good for reef tank. I only mix water with tab water for my reef tank at the office but top off with drinking RO water.
Make sure you age the water for 24hr after mixing. Try your best with the water change. You likely bot having enough light for your anemones.
Since you live in the Philippine, you may have much better luck with anemone since they don't have to be transport for long distance. Regardless if you want them to do well you have to add light. You will have to worry about heat if more light is added to the tank

Thank you so much for your help. Can I ask about the QT? Should I use water from my main tank or new mix of artificial saltwater is okay?

What you have in your tank is "bad water" so I would use newly mix water (age for 24 hrs). Change 50% of your tank daily for 4 or 5 times should get the water back to good shape.
The solution for polution is dilution

What you have in your tank is "bad water" so I would use newly mix water (age for 24 hrs). Change 50% of your tank daily for 4 or 5 times should get the water back to good shape.
The solution for polution is dilution

Thank you so much OrionN! You have been very helpful! :D I'm glad that there are people like you. :)

Use newly made saltwater for your QT. What's in your tank is polluted. So if you use it in QT, you're just transferring the problems; then you have 2 polluted tanks & nothing ever gets better.
I'm with kingpin--tear down that tank, clean it good w/ vinegar & water, sell or re-home your livestock then start over the correct way (using a different LFS)...Research...research...research...Good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you for your help! Sadly, there are only two LFS here. The other LFS is the same as my current LFS. The equipment here are not as readily available as they are in the US. I have started my QT with new saltwater. I'll just do daily water change and see what happens. Thank you!

Back