what is the fastest growing zoanthid

kware

I'm looking for something to form a carpet over some rocks and sand. I'm guessing people will say mostely button polyps.

Green bay packers....ive seen a tank with the whole back wall covered in those....also bam bams take off in the right conditions ,aswell as whammin water mellons/eagle eyes.

Why not do GSP grassy look?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13137175#post13137175 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jeweldamsel
The unwanted brown zoas.

+1. I have a colony of some brown zoas, some have dull orange centers, and others have brighter orange centers that have spead so much since Ive got them.

When I got those I also got some zoas that have orange skirts and a dull red center, so a little more "wanted", that havent grown much at all.

tubbs blues grow very fast

these pink ones on the left spread really quickly when exposed to bright light alot of current and the occasional feeding of cyclops:
crazy_zoos029.jpg

these also spread fast in those conditions, this bit of rock had 3 polyps on it about 6 weeks ago:
crazy_zoos038.jpg

I don't mean to sound rude or smart mouth at all, but there is no such thing as h fastest growing zoanthid or palythoa. The fastest growers are the ones that proliferate the quickest in your particular system. Lighting, current, k value, nutrient level, type of make up water, tank maturity and parameters are the soul determining factors in polyp growth, not the polyps themselves. This has been proven many many times. What grows fast in my tank doesn't necessarily mean it will grow equally as fast in your tank, and maybe not at all and vice versa. I would advise you to buy something very colorful, low growing ( zoanthids ) which won't produce as much height and see what happens. If you are pleased with the look, I'd frag off a few 5 polyp frags and place them along the base of your tank and allow them to grow together, thereby giving you the look you desire. Just my 2 cents.

Best of luck, Mucho Reef

Thanks everybody. I just love the look of those tanks with carpets of zoanthids all over the back glass and covering the sand. I have a 90 gallon tank. I recently swiched lights from a coralife pc fixture with zoanthids that meerely survived. Now I have 2 250 watt metal halide with 260 watts of actinic lights. Now all of a sudden I see new growth everyday. Watching the growth is what really intrests me. Maybe I'm jumping the gun. Mucho: thanks for the comment. I will take your advice. I just thought there was some zoas known for fast proliferation, but what you said makes sense. The growth of zoanthids is amazing thanks everybody.

For me it's ben eagle eyes. I started with 2 polyps and now I estimate I have 400+. This is in 7 months. Non of my other ones are even close.

I have a 28g JBJ HQI with a 20K radium bulb (150 w). I run a phosphate reactor and a deltec HOB skimmer. Everything is hooked up to a reefkeeper 2 including my chiller so the parameters are very constant. I use tropic marin pro salt and do water change once every 1.5 weeks. Back chamber has macro algae lit up at night when halides are off.

I have a Koralia 1, a tunze 6025, and 2 nano koralias in addition to the two return pumps that came with the tank. (these are all on the RK2's wavemaker). Zoanthids love flow.

I have 2 black pairs, 1 six line wrasse and a yellow watchman/shrimp combo.
I add kent marine Tech AB for calcium/Alkalinity. I dose kalkwasser once in a while. I feed the fish a little every day.
I really haven't tested parameters for a few months now but I'm pretty certain everything is good. percula
I add coral accel every day. (not sure if this is the reason but everything in my tank is growing mad) My SPS are getting a little out of control and It hasn't been a year yet with this tank. My 1 inch green tipped birdnest is now the size of a softball in 8 months. My orange/gray ricordia has split into 4 shrooms etc. etc.)
I would say good lighting, good flow and good skimming are the factors that have helped me get this growth.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13145011#post13145011 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefturkey
. I started with 2 polyps and now I estimate I have 400+. This is in 7 months. .

I cant even get aiptasia to grow that fast..........

kware
I have a 40g . with 10k t5 and 20k MH.
I have a jbj power head for current.Refugium sump and I
use a red sea berlin skimmer.
I use coral life sea salt, an dose A&b every other week.
I keep my nitrates at 20ppm my zoas seem to like the H2O
a little dirty. My ph is at 8.2 and my salanity 1.025.
I have a yellow tang and a six line wrasse to help with algae&pests.My Zoas like the semi strong water flow and reproduce pretty fast. I am going to start using vitamin C to
see how it helps.

My zoas like the

Look at Seapug's "pics of the garden" thread here in this section. There are zoas mats of various colors in his tank. Maybe you'll see some that pop out to you more depending on what colors you like.

I confirm as well.. The wonderful Brown zoas take off.. Go figure right. For example my Lunar Eclipse Paly's have quadrupled and the others have gained a few polyps here and there.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13137175#post13137175 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jeweldamsel
The unwanted brown zoas.

I dont think there is an honest answer without going to a crap load of details for this question. For example, Dragon eyes and Lord of the Rings grows very slow in my tank, maybe a polyp every month or so, but they take off like weeds in my friends tank. kedds reds and Armegeddons takes off like a bat out of hell in my frag tank, but only mediocre in my main tank. The friend I mentioned above, Kedds reds will die in a few weeks when placed in his tank.

So maybe the answer is, under the right conditions, they can all pretty much be fast growers!

There is an inverse relationship between desirability and grow rate. The ones you don't want are the ones that will grow and multiply the fastest.

Back