What is the most efficient position for returns?

DarkXerox

I've always wondered this since I seem to see people put return pipes in seemingly random positions (next to the overflow, as far away from the overflow, aimed towards the side/middle/up/down/etc.).

Is there any sort of accepted "rule" in where to position a return pipe? I'd like to make sure mine are in the correct spots that allow for the best circulation of water into and out of the sump area.

The placement of the return really depends upon aquascaping. Some people prefer plugging the return into some type of manifold that delivers flow to many different points in the tank. Typically the goal is to avoid dead zones, so this is a good solution for that. Other people like me just want them out of the way. IMO, it often doesn't really matter considering that you really shoulding be relying on the return for much contributory flow in the tank. Lower flow rates through sumps are usually better (to a point) and easier to manage. Therefore, the majority of the flow should come from either internal circulation pumps or a closed-loop.

Yeah I'm not looking at the return in providing any useable flow, but instead as circulation from the sump. I don't even factor in my return when calculating turnover rate.

I just want to know where to place it in regards to my overflow in order to not suck down water that just got pumped up from the sump. I was confused because some people say place it next to the overflow while others say keep it on an opposite side.

Back