What is the purpose of a second becket?

fishdoc11

catch and release
Team RC
When you add a second becket will it allow you to create more bubbles of a desirable diameter? I have to cut back the air quite a bit on my MR2 run with a pcx 55 pump to get the best results. I'm wondering if an added becket will allow me to create more small bubbles with the same pump. I am going to add a riser in a few months and was just wondering if adding another becket was a waste of time. Hope that makes sense.
thanks, Chris

Hey Chris,
WHen I upgraded from an MR2 to an MR2 dual it DID make a world of difference.
But it only did after I upgraded pumps to an Iwaki 70.
It skimmed like a beast.

Sean

Hey Sean,
Yeah I really don't want to go any bigger on the pump for power reasons. I get enough groans from the wife and she is right, at least for now while I'm still back in school:) The tank will be a 120 with 40 breeder frag tank with most likely a 40 gallon sump so I think the extension, one becket and that pump should be able to handle it but if adding another becket would help skimming at all I figured what the hey:)

thanks, Chris

I ran my MR2 dual with a pcx 55 pump. Now I am running it as a single with the same pump. Right now I am more impressed by the quality of skimming with the single than the dual. I am looking into adding another 8" riser section but I want to keep the pump. I too don't want to upgrade pumps but I may be forced to do so. Eventually I will end up with a mr2 converted to a mr3 and I want it to be a dual.

If either of you are wanting to upgrade pumps...I have an Iwaki 70 that is just PERFECT for the job. ;)
Sean

Don't do that to me Sean:lol:

.....trying.......to resist............more electricity usage........

Last edited:
Chris, we have simular size systems and I'm also using a MRC2 with dual becketts and risers. The second beckett and risers made a big difference in performance once it was dialed in.

I already have a iwaki 70 sitting around doing nothing. I went with the pcx55 because of the 1" outlet. The iwaki 70 is a 3/4" outlet.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6527763#post6527763 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishdoc11
Don't do that to me Sean:lol:

.....trying.......to resist............more electricity usage........
It is in excellent condition.
If you decide to upgrade just PM me. ;)

Thanks Sean I will if I can't help it:)

Thanks MikeNY and Andy for the input.

What pump are you running Mike?

I know Joefish ran dual beckets with a pcx 55 and seemed to be happy but most posts I have seen mirror what has been said here. You are better off with one becket with that pump.

thanks, Chris

From what I understand it makes the foam more stable. I added one to the single becket on mine but did it before I started it up so I don't know if it has made any difference or not.
Chris

I might have to try that, just a few PVC fittings and a 8-9" peice of pipe.

I have a Precision Marine Bullet-2 and wonder what/if there would be benefits to adding a riser to the injector. I'm using a Pan World 150-PS to run it, does a bang up job stock but the foam consistency does change now and then, not often...

Wonder if he is active on any other forums out there -- or has his own little blog/space on the net.

I haven't seen him anywhere but maybe I'm not looking in the right place. I'm pretty sure he is offline for the time being.

Well maybe next month when I'm in Florida for 3-4 weeks I'll go hunt him down in the Keys. I'll just post signs everywhere saying 'Have you seen Bomber?'

HAHA

Back