What is your medicated quarantine procedure?

LobsterOfJustice

Recovering Detritophobe
Hello all,

I am in the process of changing around my fish selection in my tank. I have never quarantined a fish before because I always add 1 or 2 at a time, but in the next few weeks I will be adding many small fish. Just because of the numbers... I want to play it safe and quarantine. I would like to treat for anything possible so I know they are healthy going into my tank.

The quarantine tank is a 37g column with a sump. The fish I will be quarantining/treating (not all at once) will be a group of blue/green chromis, some zebra barred dartfish, some anthias,pair of banggai cardinals, and some miscellaneous small gobies.

I purchased some coppersafe, melafix, and pimafix. The coppersafe would be for parasites, the melafix for bacterial infections, and the pimafix for fungal infections. The Pima and Mela can be run at the same time, it is a 7 day treatment, then I would do a water change and run the coppersafe. After that, move them to the display.

Does this sound like a good plan? What would everyone recommend?

Personally, I run a straight up q tank, and don't medicate/treat unless a problem crops up. Simple observation for three weeks minimum is a good method, and any problem should surface within this time frame. There's really no point in treating for potential illness, and subjecting fish to a battery of medicated interventions may just stress them to the point of immune suppression. I prefer Maracyn Two for bacterial problems. Fungal infections are actualy pretty uncommon in saltwater tanks. Coppersafe is fine, although for parasites, I like hyposalinity. Copper is an immune suppressant and some fish don't tolerate it well for extended periods of time.
hth

I use Prazipro (flukes and internal parasites) and Cupramine (ich and velvet.) I treat both at the same time and after 5 days do a 50% water change replacing only the Cupramine. Then 4-6 weeks in Cupramine. If I see any signs of infection I use Maracyn II. I treat ALL my fish. I've seen to many nasty things come in and also seen fish that appear healthy, but still carry parasites which infect other fish in the displays.

Thanks LargeAngels. So you only do a preventative QT for parasites. Only treat for bacterial stuff if you see it.

I have the first "batch" coming thursday, the chromis and zebra dartfish.

Wondering if I should just return this melafix and pimafix if no one uses it.

LargeAngels- when you replace the cupramine after the 50% water change, how much do you use? The original amount? I dont know anything about using cupramine.

I cant seem to find this stuff locally, so I am putting together an order.

Question on the Maracyn-Two:

I cant seem to find dosing information, but I am trying to figure out how much I need. It says one pack per ten gallons, but do you only put this dosage in once for the treatment, or is this the kind of medication where you add it daily for the duration of the treatment?

Off the top of my head (so check the package before you administer) Maracyn II is one tablet per 10 gallons first day and 2nd to 5th. day is one tablet per 20 gallons per day.

Great thread. I've actually been researching this exact issue and am thinking about the following medicated/aggressive quarantine procedure for all new fish.

1) 45 minute pure freshwater (RO/DI) bath
2) Cupramine (14 days)
3) Other internal and external parasites: Jungle Labs Parasite Clear (contains praziquantel, metronidazole, acriflavine) for 4 days
4) Bacteria/Fungus: combination or standalone of the following - Sulfa, Furan, Amoxicllin, Minocycline, Keflex (5 to 7 days)

Any suggestions/comments/constructive criticisms?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12296987#post12296987 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LargeAngels
Off the top of my head (so check the package before you administer) Maracyn II is one tablet per 10 gallons first day and 2nd to 5th. day is one tablet per 20 gallons per day.

Thanks. So on a QT system with 50g volume one treatment cycle will require 15 packs/tablets. A package of 16 packs/tablets is $14 online, I think I understand why you only use this if you see signs of infection :)

may i add a further question to this topic??

For invertebrates coral, feather dusters,snails ect. one's quarantine would usually never have the requirements (lighting, food) to keep these things alive for three weeks. and there is no real way to prevent 100% of the water from the pet store getting into your tank (unless you dry the livestock - and kill it)

so.. would you put your new coral in a quarantine bath of reef safe medication for a few days...and then introduce them to the main tank??

BTW. i have had horror stories with melafix and primafix going to post question about it in another thread.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12281220#post12281220 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LargeAngels
I use Prazipro (flukes and internal parasites) and Cupramine (ich and velvet.) I treat both at the same time and after 5 days do a 50% water change replacing only the Cupramine. Then 4-6 weeks in Cupramine.
Thanks. I've been looking for info on the safety of concurrent dosing of praziquantel and cupramine, and it looks like I found it. ;)

A question for you -- do you know anything about the safety of these in a QT tank that has been treated with Amquel Plus? My concern is that the amquel might reduce Copper(II) to Copper (I).

thanks.

Here is from their Website:

Q: I've been dosing with Cupramineâ"žÂ¢ and then I added Product X and everything died. What happened?
A: If Product X is a reducing agent such as ParaGuardâ"žÂ¢ (or other aldehyde based medications), or if you overdose with a dechlorinator, such as Primeâ"žÂ¢ then the Cu+2 will be reduced to Cu+. Cu+ is 10 times more toxic than Cu+2.

I've had the same concern so I've never used products like Amquel. Ask in the Seachem forum.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12356845#post12356845 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LargeAngels

Q: I've been dosing with Cupramineâ"žÂ¢ and then I added Product X and everything died. What happened?
A: If Product X is a reducing agent such as ParaGuardâ"žÂ¢ (or other aldehyde based medications), or if you overdose with a dechlorinator, such as Primeâ"žÂ¢ then the Cu+2 will be reduced to Cu+. Cu+ is 10 times more toxic than Cu+2.

I've had the same concern so I've never used products like Amquel. Ask in the Seachem forum.

LargeAngels, in a medicated quarantine/hospital tank, how do you control ammonia?

Regular biological filter. I always either have a tank running with filter or have extra media in main tanks and just move to QT.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12356845#post12356845 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LargeAngels

Q: I've been dosing with Cupramine� and then I added Product X and everything died. What happened?
A: If Product X is a reducing agent such as ParaGuard� (or other aldehyde based medications), or if you overdose with a dechlorinator, such as Prime� then the Cu+2 will be reduced to Cu+. Cu+ is 10 times more toxic than Cu+2.

Thanks for your help. I am familiar with that info from their website. Unfortunately, it doesn't really address the issue.

In reality, the reaction of ammonia with hydroxymethanesulfonate is NOT an oxidation reduction reaction. I don't think that their generic statement has any real application in this case, but I'm reluctant to proceed without better data. I already have an e-mail request for help from Seachem, but my expectation is that I will receive a useless canned reply from someone who is not a chemist. That has been my experience in the past, and it seems to be the normal MO for Seachem support. I'll try the Seachem forum and see if I have better luck. thanks.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12357296#post12357296 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LargeAngels
Regular biological filter. I always either have a tank running with filter or have extra media in main tanks and just move to QT.
Do you move your biological filter media back to the main reef tank after it has been used with Cupramine in the QT tank, or is the movement of the biological media a one-way trip to the quarantine system?

I have two hospital tanks running now, one with live rock and sand, one with sponge filters. The tank without substrate just isn't staying stable. I really need to find an answer to the copper / amquel question.

Back