What kind of bulbs generate heat?

I've heard of heat mats being used under a vase or bowl. The reptile type. I'm just not sure how stable or precise they are in being able to regulate temperature.

Yeh, the blokes over at MASA recommended a Brewers Heat Mat, which are more used to having a large mass on them.

I'll try to decide whether I should use a sump or pursue my original, much riskier, idea of minimalism, if the latter (or both), I'll get a Brewers heat mat

I've heard of heat mats being used under a vase or bowl. The reptile type. I'm just not sure how stable or precise they are in being able to regulate temperature.

I agree with this. Just keep tweaking it until the cup of water reaches the right temp. Then never touch it again. Probably keep the temp low... but on all the time. Eventually will reach equilibrium where you want it assuming the room temp is relatively stable. like a 7 watt model.

Better yet have a room at 70 degrees constant. A cup of water will also reach 70. Put creatures in the cup that do well in 70 degree water. Simple.

That's what I do for my python too (or at least what I did til the heat mat died), I just lower/raise the heat mat underneath the tub until the desired temperature is reached, no need for a thermostat. I need to make something to slightly raise the cup, as to not apply pressure onto the heat mat and risk a short circuit.

There are vases that run at ambient room temp, but they keep less diverse coral unless you like warm rooms! If you are going for harder corals I think you will need a heater, seems like that can’t be avoided.

Wow reading what I typed came off kinda d*ckish! Certainly didn't mean it to be that way. Sorry.

While it certainly can be done, I just don't think its a very good idea. After owning a pico reef(3 gallons) I can attest to how much harder it is to maintain solid parameters then a larger tank. Considering your considering 1/3 of that volume, I wouldn't be afraid to say its nearly impossible.

There are lots of tiny ~1 gallon tanks out there, should check it out; it's done from a different perspective than traditional tanks centered on essentially sealing the tank with just an airline between weekly 100% water changes right after massive feedings. Parameters are not a consideration, tank is reset weekly.

A heat source seems to be absolutely necessary unless in a tropical climate, which most of us aren't in, so I would need to find a source of heat if I am to keep corals

There are lots of tiny ~1 gallon tanks out there, should check it out; it's done from a different perspective than traditional tanks centered on essentially sealing the tank with just an airline between weekly 100% water changes right after massive feedings. Parameters are not a consideration, tank is reset weekly.

Yeh, some of them are really quite spectacular and are a cheaper and simpler alternative to a regular 100g reef tank.

Wow, that's pretty handy, not sure if I should go with the reptile heat emitter or heat mat, which ever is cheaper here in Australia, I guess.

Well even when it does get boiling hot (it is summer at the moment) a tank relying solely on ambient temperature, even here in Australia, would still fluctuate quite a lot. Plus it gets cold in winter. I still use a heater for my tropical tank to keep the temperature stable and in an ideal range.

I'll keep that in mind, keeping the ceramic dry won't be hard.

Back