What should be my first DSLR?

Very true beer guy! But I am not sure if it will really affect how soon I get a lense as I am getting the camera as a christmas gift... But the additional $200 may be a deal killer on the camera for a present idea... you see? so maybe XTi better than no camera at all...

Thanks again everyone for all your input! I will update with my decision and I am sure I will be posting here more when I get it :D :D :D I am so excited!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13906993#post13906993 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hypertech
I bet the XSi + 100mm macro is cheaper than the Nikon + 105mm macro.
Depends what macro you get for the Nikon. If you get the Nikkor 105mm VR, this is true. But, there are three excellent third-party macros in the 100mm range which are much cheaper (Tamron 90, Tokina 100 and Sigma 105). For comparison (from B&H):

XSi (body only) and 100mm Canon macro: $ 1,020
D80 (body only) + Tamron 90 mm macro : $ 950 (after rebate)

The D80 body is currently out of stock at B&H but, as this shows, the price difference may actually favor the Nikon over Canon.

In terms of the D40/60 AF issue - nearly all new Nikon lenses have an AF motor in the body. The only place the lack of a body AF motor is an issue is with fast primes and older Nikon or third party lenses. Anyone buying new lenses shouldn't run into a problem with the D40/60. And, the D40 can take excellent photos.

Not trying to convince you about Nikon. THe XSi is an excellent camera. But,.....

this might help... just bought the Nikon D60 with no regrets what so ever. you want macro go with tamron. nikon macro is your left arm. I am in love with my new cam but next DSLR is goin to be Canon. And the only reason for this is the lense line up. there are more affordable and a wider range with the Canon than the Nikon. i think the Nikon brand lense have better review than the Canons(not sure dont quote me) but canons are ALOT cheaper and third partys are great as well...this is only meant to help the guy..hope it does

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13911762#post13911762 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefman23
Go XSi... I just got mine 2 days ago and it is flippin' sweet! Join Club Canon!

Jesse
Canon is the only club where I will blow $5000 to get into the VIP section.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13911797#post13911797 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by southstar066
this might help... just bought the Nikon D60 with no regrets what so ever. you want macro go with tamron. nikon macro is your left arm. I am in love with my new cam but next DSLR is goin to be Canon. And the only reason for this is the lense line up. there are more affordable and a wider range with the Canon than the Nikon. i think the Nikon brand lense have better review than the Canons(not sure dont quote me) but canons are ALOT cheaper and third partys are great as well...this is only meant to help the guy..hope it does
I looked at 5 manufacturers (Sony Nikon Canon Pentax Olympus) VERY closely before I let one win me over. In the end I had many reasons for picking Canon, but their superior lens lineup over all others was one of the main factors. Lenses are the most importiant aspect of DSLR photography and it eventually became obvious to me who sets the bar concerning them. They aren't just a little less expensive, I genuinely believe you can't buy better from any other direct competitors. Now Nikon has the upper hand in the cheaper lenses, but when you bring out the big guns none can compete.

"I'm pretty sure Tamron makes lenses for both Nikon and Canon mounts."

yes they do. I was just stating that if he does go Nikon dont do the Nikon macro with the $800-900 price tag.

OK I am going Canon! And looks like I am going to bite the bullet on the XSi... Might as well right?

Where is the best place to get it? I see B&H has it for $631 while us1camera has it for $608 but most of the feedback about them says they lag in the shipping department... Although I want it right NOW! lol The $23 savings might be worth a week or so seeing as though I can't have it until Christmas anyway ;)

Anybody know if it is cheaper anywhere else? or a coupon code or anything? thanks!

90sShooter - I am sure you can find it cheaper elsewhere (or at least it will appear to be cheaper) but with something like that please do yourself a favor and stick with B&H or Adorama. There are too many horror stories with those extremely cheap online places (grey market, pay for manual, battery, and just ridiculous add ons that should come standard).

The 'live.com' rebate varies regularly. It has been as high as 25% (which would be about $150 on a $600 camera). Wish it were available in Canada.

yeah I saw the live.com thing for ebay auctions and it is like 8% right now... not bad... Only thing is, I don't think B&H is on there...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13913984#post13913984 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nickb
The 'live.com' rebate varies regularly. It has been as high as 25% (which would be about $150 on a $600 camera). Wish it were available in Canada.

I picked up my xsi with 18-55mm lens about 2 weeks ago on ebay from 17th street photo... A NY based photo store... For $665 minus 10% ebay coupon minus 30% live.com cash back ($199.50) for a total of right around $400 shipped.

Really?! I had that 10% off coupon last month too but it's too late now... Anybody know a valid coupon code?

How did you get 30% back from Live.com?!?!

Back