What skimmer to get???

CrippledStoner

I need to upgrade my skimmer i currently have the Bubble Magus curve 7. It has been a super quiet skimmer and has worked great since day one. I was thinking of upgrade to the curve 9. My system is 300gal and has a heavy bio load. Do you thing the curve 9 would be enough its rated for 400 gal.

Bubble Magus Curve 9 Skimmer Specifications
Tank Capability : 240G-400G
Pump: ROCK - SP4000
Pump power: 20W, 110V 60Hz
Dimensions: 9.25"L x 11.6"W x 23.6"H
Water Level :9.5"-11"

Can you all recommend a different skimmer that would be good for 300 gal system with a heavy bio load. would like to stay in the range of 400-600 dollars. And must operate in water level 9.5"-11" Space is not a issue.

Have you looked at the jabeo DC powered skimmer that reef breeders is offering? Looks pretty damn nice for the $$$

I've been VERY pleased with the aquamaxx coneS Co3. I can't remember price offhand as I'm overseas with spotty wifi, but I believe it falls within your price range. Rated for 500 gal.

I'd look at threads with the same amount of volume that your are running, along with the amount of live stock. Check what skimmers they run. Personally based on videos on YouTube and threads I got got a skimz sm163. I'd look into the sm203 and saw it was sold out on brs. Check the YouTube videos on that model or other threads where they compare it to other skimmers. Good luck.

I personally wouldn't get the dc one from reefbreeders.. I have it coral box d700 and it's nothing special at all and Def too small for your volume unless there is a larger one I'm not aware of.

I just got a curve 9 for my frag system for a killer deal new.. Pm me if you want me to check if I can get another one.. It's a good bit off of msrp fwiw. But I have no idea what it performs like because it's still boxed up lol..

Aquamaxx cone 3 should do a great job on your tank I was looking into a cone 2 but the dimensions would have required a new sump for the dt but the reviews are stellar and they have Sicce pumps . I also own a skimz sk181 and it is a great skimmer all around I would definitely buy another in a heartbeat.

I think for your price range those brands are the best choice . or possibly the r8 or r10 w/dc pumps.. But the reviews are kinda mixed.. Skimmers are a hard one for me for some reason. To many choices and fear of regret for the price I think =).

Last edited:
the skimz sm203 looks nice, it is one on my list of maybe. Lots of different options. I tend to like the skimmer where the pump is inside the skimmer. May make it a bit harder t access the pump but would give me a reason to clean the skimmer more often also.

I run the Curve 9 on my 100Gal and I would say that it would have no problem running on your 300. On the 100 it will skim for a few hours and then lie dormant for like 3 days even a week and then foam up again for a few hours. Way over kill on the 100 and am looking for a new skimmer myself to get more consistence. The only negative that I can say about the 9 is the pump is noisy. Oh ya when they say about 900l/h of air its well over 1000 according to the air meter from Aqua Medic that I believe goes up 1100 and the ball will just disappear even when valve on meter is slowly opened.

What u end up with?

Just purely my opinion: if you're willing to pay up to $600, I would move up to a higher end level skimmer like an ATB or BK. Although the other skimmers may perform well, if anyone's owned an ATB or BK, they'll completely understand what I'm saying and understand why it costs so much.
For shooters it's Kinda like nightforce scopes that most say is pretty good, but once you look through a bender, u will understand why it costs that much.

Alternative: vertex alphas, an alpha 250 can be had for under $600 used, and it can easilly handle 300g tank. And it's basically a royal exclusiv product.

I still haven't decided. Lol. I had the cash but few things came up so now I got plenty of time. Ill have to look into the ATB, BK,and others you mentioned. Id rater spend a little extra cash on this piece of equipment.

A used Super Reef octopus 5000 will be more than enough and will be in your price range.

Back