What suddenly kills two Kenya Tree's

Lizzy_lray

I converted my 20 gal high tank about two months ago to a 32 gallon Biocube. Transition went very smoothly. My fish, leathers, paly zoas, and LPS are doing well.

My least favorite coral are two branches of Kenya Tree I inherited from a rock several years ago. They have always grown out of control needing cuts and spreading branches. Just last week they starting falling over and looking bad. I didn't think much of it since they do this from time to time but this time is different. In just a few days they have literally started melting from the base and one is almost completely gone.

What could have caused such an invasive coral to suddenly melt? My other much more finicky corals are doing fantastic. My parameters are great, my water is clean, I dose cal, alkalinity and Red Sea reef energy plus daily.

30261ab81c23a22de998c7114cc2a2ce.jpg
82c4cf112846e75fcbbe3894a4450c1e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luck

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

:lmao: That was my first thought also.

(Sorry Lizzy Iray :sad2:)

Back to the OP, my guess would be a brown jelly infection brought on by the stress of moving. Kenya trees are a hardy species but from what I've seen over the years when an infection does manage to get a hold it progresses fairly quickly with them.

Lol! I agree I was definitely lucky to finally get rid of it. I just thought it was strange and I was a little worried about my other corals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are right to be concerned. Infections can pass fronm one coral to another different species. If possible any white or brown slimy stuff that forms on a coral should be gently siphoned off with airline tubing especially before a coral is removed for dipping to avoid it floating around and infecting other corals

Back