What the big deal about PPE

Zoalander

I see them going for over 100 dollars a polyp on ebay. Are they that rare? I personally wouldn't pay $20 for a for a nice sized frag of it because I think they are kinda ugly. I just don't understand why people would pay so much for them.

although i agree with the high price being crazy i must say...have you seen any really good pics or any in person? they are pimp. the green ring with purple center and green edge is super sweet.

I's like to have some for myself just to compare with the other things in my tank, but I can't see spending 100 bucks a polyp.
Drew

You haven't seen the real PPE yet ... You will fall in love with it when you see it... Unless you don't like zoo.. :p
I agree 100 for a polyp to way too much.. but that is ebay.. You can sell brown zoo on ebay for $50 a polyp if you know how to "name" it :D

I've seen the price drop dramatically over the last few months on other sites. Someone on RC had some for sale at $25 a polyp(for a number of polyps), I think. I lucked out and found someone local that traded me a few polyps for several frags, so I was able to avoid the actual money changing hands. When I saw the mother colony, I was floored. They were much larger than I expected. I've always been a softie for proto's, though:).

I agree that the price of $100/polyp is a little insane. But I have been trying to get my hands on some for a while now. I won't pay a ton and would prefer to trade. I think the max I would pay would be $20/polyp though. As soon as I get some they will be going full force in the prop tank. A lot of people that sell them say they are slow growers, and that could be part of the reason they go for so much. I had a trade lined up for January for some that has been pushed back until April now. So hopefully that one will go through. I have been holding some sweet enchino's and lords that I plan on trading for them. If the deal falls through in April, I will probably sell the sweet enchinos and lords I have been holding and use that money to just buy some at crazy prices.

I picked up some PPE's a while back just because I had to have them since everyone else wanted them so much. Lets just say I'm not that impressed with them compared to some of my other zoos. Paying $100 a polyp is just crazy.

I wouldn't have a hard time paying some of the crazy prices, to a point. After spending the high prices of the fluorescent pink Yumas(before the were a fad) multiple times and having them all melt I would feel safer with the PPe's, or PHE's for that matter. They are quite pretty, I like them even more cause that happens to be one of my favorite color combos. The problem with EBay is it really isn't a good measure of a value of a coral or any other product because of the auction inflated price. I mean if I wanted to have them more them you and willing to pay for it, then it runs the price up till I run you out of your price range. They sure are sweet though....

PPE's are probably one of my favorite zoas.. they rank high up there with the tubs blues.. :) but I wouldn't pay anymore than $15-$20/polyp on them.. I've had the oppurtunity to get one for free but didn't have good luck with it.. then, I got another polyp from a swap but for some reason, never opened up and detached... so far, I'm PPE less again.. I have some more trades lined up so I'm not worried..

but yeah, you can pretty much sell anything on E-bay, the world's biggest garage sale.. LoLz..

Marvin

most over price zoos loose value over time since people grow/prop them pretty quick, But PPE from what I hear are slow grower and are still hard to fine. I've been keeping my eye out for a nice size frag at a fair price for a long time but haven't gotten my hands on one yet. I have a nice colony of PPE blasto 15/20heads I've been thinking about trading for it but I'm not sure how many polyps of ppe zoos I'd get.

Those Ppe balstos are sweet too...I don't know if I would trade that....I think that blasto color morph is a keeper.

Mine don't grow slow. They did at first. Went from 1 polyp to 2 in a month then to 4 in another month. I just noticed about 4 polyps pop up last week. I'm up to about a dozen polyps now. Once I hit about 40 to 50, I'll probably start fragging them.

Ohh sure...."40-50 then I'll start fragging them" I think somebodies trying to be a wise guy. Luckly your in florida and the cost of gas is to much to come and get them...lol.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6694839#post6694839 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jay24k
Mine don't grow slow. They did at first. Went from 1 polyp to 2 in a month then to 4 in another month. I just noticed about 4 polyps pop up last week. I'm up to about a dozen polyps now. Once I hit about 40 to 50, I'll probably start fragging them.

Wanna post pic??? A lot of people claim they have PPE but it's not..

is it the size of the polyps that makes it a true ppe? I've seen true ppe and fake ppl in person before and the true ppe polyps are huge.

Elite is right. Lots of fake floating around. I only seen I few people that claiming to have them been able to show some pictures. I have had 2 2 polyp frags and they both did not make it. 40-50 polyps? You can retire if you sell them. J/K.

Mine have been slow growing, but a recent event may have sped them up... I'm still watching and getting ready to experiment a little. I started with three polyps about four months ago. There were still three polyps when I fragged them sometime around Jan 7th (before our local frag swap to trade for a PHE frag). Two weeks after the single polyp was cut off, I noticed three more had popped up. It is possible I overlooked maybe one of the polyps when I fragged (though I checked it out pretty closely then), but there is no way I overlooked three polyps on a frag that only had three polyps. I'm thinking it is some sort of survival mode. I am doing another single polyp trade this month, so I will see if I get three or four more shortly after fragging... If that's that case, I may be trading single polyps for a while until I hit the point of diminishing returns;). If I get an increase in growth after the next cut, I'll be excited (though it doesn't definitely mean what I think caused it actually had anything to do with it-too many other uncontrollables...).

So what makes a fake PPE? I know that most can't be traced back to Blane, but to me, if it is a protopalythoa with nice purple centers and neon green skirt and mouth slit, then it is PPE (for all current intents and purposes). I've seen some on ebay that were not even protos, or not even purple that were called PPE, but if anyone bought those because of the name and despite looking at the pic... Are there fake proto PPE's, or is the 'fake' comment more directed towards people that say they have them and can't produce pictures? I just hadn't heard of fake PPE's before. Seems like strictly from appearance, they are pretty easy to pick out of a line up (as long as you can scale the size to something in the pic). A smaller polyp would probably mean it is not a proto, which would negate it from being a PPE altogether. Just curious:). (Definitely not trying to start any kind of argument out if this, though:)).

Back