What To Do ???

Going to remove livestock thats in my tank wednesday, I'm ordering some live rock from Life Oceanic wednesday and it should be here thursday, Im going to order 2 shipments 35lbs. this order and 35lbs. in about 3 weeks I'll put the live rock in a rubber maid trash can with an pump, heater, and just let the pump cycle the water around in the trash can.

Will change the water in the trash can every other day and let the live rock stay in the trash can for a week or so, then will add to my tank... Sounds like a good idea ???

Thats the plan let me know if I should do other wise...

Thanks for all the help you guys
reefcentral is the best !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the rock is truly uncured, 1 week will not be sufficient time. That's not to say that you can't finish curing the rock in your tank. Some folks find that curing rock in tank leads to larger and more frequent bouts of algae.

Regards,

Pat

Question ??? This may sound kinnda of dumb, but by curing u mean the rock is cycleing in the tank or in the trash can right ???

For the most part I just put it in the trash can for 2 weeks and then into the tank for the rest of the curing, right ?

Curing is just getting the rock ready for the tank. Devoid of any ammonia producing organism's etc. This can be done in the tank or in the trash cans.

I bought fully cured rock, which means that I put it directly in my tank with little to no fear of a cycle happening. In other words no Ammonia, Nitrite, nitrate cycle. Ammonia and Nitrites is what will kill fish, inverts etc.

So simply stated the rock needs to cure, either in the tank or the garbage cans or some combination of both. I think when rock is fully cured in garbage cans you typically have less algae problems than in tank. Additionally the tank stays cleaner.

You can test the rock by smelling it. If it stinks like bad fish etc its not ready. If it smells like a fresh ocean breeze or like th air smells at a dock on the ocean it probably is ready. Be aware that if you put it in your tank with no time in the garbage can, chances are your house will stink.

I hope this makes sense.

Regards,

Pat

Yes it does thanks for the input,

I'm going to go buy a garbage can tomorrow and when the live rock gets here on thursday, I'm going to put the live rock in their for 2 weeks or so maybe more, and leave the pump running and make sure that the temp is right,

I'll do water checks with my test kit every day and just keep a nose on the rock smell and make sure that it is good to go before I add to the tank. That way I'll keep the risk of an algae problem way low in my tank. Right ???

That should help reduce your algae problems. I'd also do some water changes in the garbage can as long as the ammonia was over, say, 0.5 ppm. Don't drive yourself crazy, though.

Back