What to use to target feed

swpassion

What are you guys using to target feed your corals? I have an open brain on the bottom of my 210, my light are on until 11:00 p.m. and I have read to feed them in the dark, would the mornign work before the lights turn on? I was thinking about using a turkey naster to target mysis/rods combo but wanted to get some opinions.

Turkey basters work well for feeding. Coralife also makes a feeder which is basically a turkey baster but longer to let you reach the bottom your 210.

Do all corals benefit from target feeding? I have -

Acan
2 - kenya trees, 1 from Vietnam the other is Figi
Hammer
Zoanthids
Open brain
Finger leather
carpet leather
toadstool

+1 on turkey baster, I feed my acan, kenya tree, open brain, hammer, torch, star polyp, and they love it

Check the lights first. Don't start putting a bunch of food in that they might not need to begin with. Everything that they don't consume might become a problem down the road.

+1 There is no need to muck up the water and chemistry if you have the right lighting. I would say that your LPS, the hammers and acans are benefitted best by target feeding.

Others do have a point that over-feeding will cause water issues; however, I believe that spot feeding is a non-issue as the amount of food you would need to feed the corals is minimal and you can be pretty accurate with a turkey baster. If a few mysid or whatever you feed go off somewhere, I am sure something else in the tank will eat it.

Also keep an eye out for fish and shrimp stealing food from your corals.

And to answer your question all corals can benefit from feeding, you just have to find the right food mysid, cyclopeeze, photoplankton etc...

plasticbulb.jpg

I have a new acan, for about 3 weeks. He seems to be very happy, and I target feed him every other day. I feed him with the lights on, when I fed the other corals and fish. Should i be feeding with the lights off?
Thanks, bob

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm under the impression that the only reason you should feed at night is because the feeding tentacles are more prominent. Otherwise, feeding is feeding, whether it's lights on or not.

Some of my corals are more receptive to feeding at night, my plate corals and some of my trachy brains. Others like my duncan and lobos seem to like the day better, and some, like my acans just don't care and will take food anytime.

Well, I did a couple target feedings and WOW!!!!! the corals look so much better, the hammer espeically, it just POPS!!, the acan has already started growing a bit and the color is deeper, the brain is starting to fill in, and all that after 2 target feedings THANKS ALL!!!........

Back