What would you do

Reefist

You're probably going to say so what's the problem. I have a 210 gallon reef tank that I've had for quite some time I first put in branching Acropora. But I came across three encrusting corals that I really liked the Cyphastrea, Rainbow Montipora, and the Tyree sunset Montipora. These three corals have out competed and destroyed all of my branching corals and Encrusted 60% of my rock. They simply grow too fast. So here's my question do I take these rocks and sell them and teardown my Reef and rebuild it or do I boil the rock killing the corals which I don't want to do and putting them back and in the tank. I really don't want to start over and I really don't want to destroy these corals. Thats why I need opinions.I'll try to attached the pics. Eager for thoughts.
Thanks
Tom

Attachments

• IMG_0718C.JPG
    IMG_0718C.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0719c.JPG
    IMG_0719c.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0720C.JPG
    IMG_0720C.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 0
what about trading your coral rock for regular live rock. I'm sure you will get volunteers. I would but I'm not that close to you. I do have a lot of rock to choose from though.

Some would be jealous of your problem Tom.
I would swap them out for new rock.
If you really want to keep them perhaps some redecorating into islands would be the way to go.

Looks like a Lyre-tail Anthias, probably the photo but it's probably orange.

Tom,
I know what your up against, worst purchase I ever made was to put a tiny frag of red Cyphastrea in my SPS tank. It's basically outcompeted any acro that it comes across while spreading on the live rock.
I would yank the rock out if I were you.

I have the same problem in my tank., but I don't consider it a problem. I just re-arranged the rockwork to leave a gap between encrusting corals and the weaker slower grwoing acros and with the stronger stinging Acro's the sting keep the encrusting coral in check..as mentioned you can always remove them and yes Warren is correct ..thats a female Lyretail.

Yeah good idea . But there's only 3 pieces of rock on each side. It's Fiji show so I can't move it .I think a tear down and selling is the course of action.
Going to PW to pick up my salt and then Zim Zari for an 1800 margherita w/ salt and ponder my options.😊

Next question should I try buying Live Rock or just go with say BRS Pukani Dry? I might Just hook up a 44G pail to the system to cure the rock for a couple of months.
Thanks
Tom

Good to know, thanks. I'll try to find some Fiji Show . That's what I have ,30+ lb pieces. I'm not fond of stacking rocks. Since I lack the patience.
Thanks
Tom

Back