Whats the bestest nano tank?

pizazmitaz

I was thinking the JBJ 24 gallon...Is it good? I also have a few questions about it. ok, here it goes.

1. Are the lights adequate enough for: Favia,Candy Canes, Hammer Coral, Frogspawn, Mushrooms, Zooanthids, Xenia, and maybe Birds Nest
(Can you guys critique the list for me if nessescary? or any other coral recommendations would be sweet)

2. Fishwise I was thinkin 2 ocellaris clowns, 1 orange spot goby, 1 6 line wrasse, then maybe a mandarin dragonet once pods are thrivin. then a snail shrimp hermit clean up crew. (critique if necessary please!)

3. I've heard of people takin the bioballs out cuase of "Nitrate Traps"? What does that mean?

4. If I did take em out, what would go in there?

5. In the back, the 3 compartments, they hold a skimmer, sponge & carbon, then bioballs right? is the skimmer and the pump in the back? Or does the pump go outside of the tank?

6. How Hard is the maetinince? Cleaning? Also, How lon will it take to cycle?

It's one of the worst nano tanks out there (Moonlight issue's & crappy stands)

1) Birdsnest - No. Also no other SPS.

2) Mandarins are NEVER a good idea in a nano. Do some people have luck? Yeah, with mandarins that eat prepared foods. Not to mention the six line would deplete your pod population in a second.

3) Bioballs are included for fish only tanks, bad for reef setups.

4) Lot's of options, Chemi-Pure, Purigen, Fuge, etc....

5) No skimmer comes with the 24.

6) Cycle depends on the liverock (cured or uncured). I would plan for a month.

Sounds like you have plenty of learning to do.....browse the forum and check out people's tank build threads for idea's.

In reality there is no best all in one. Everybody has different taste with tanks. My personal choice is Finnex 30 M tank. Others may say the JBJ 28G. If you like the rimless look then you may like the Solana. In the end all of the tanks will need some mods or upgrades. For the most part you should try to see a tank in person before you purchase one. Good Luck in your search :)

I am with Mojo! I am just coming back from having two huge Elos tanks to now having a Finnex 30 M Tank. I could not be happier. I use an Outer Orbit 150 Watt HQI with 4 x 24 Watt T5's, Tunze Nano, Tunze Osmolator and one standard house fan on a timer.

I keep all types of various coral inside this little guy, everything from the Miami Hurricane to the Pink Lemonade.

In the end it's really up to you!

Good Luck...

Finnex 30g M Tank without a doubt....mine is at 10 months....never 1 second of regret.

150w MH, aqua c remora nano skimmer, tunze osimolator.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14183965#post14183965 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pizazmitaz
what about the oceanic biocube?

i dont have 650 for a NANO tank, no offense but thats a rip.

You get what you pay for in this hobby.

You think the Finnex is a rip! I apologize for saying this but maybe you should look into starting a different hobby. $650.00 is NOTHING!

Price the Elos tank, it's only a 20 gallon. Make sure you are sitting down though...

You asked what is the BEST-EST nano tank! You don't have to buy them!!! Please don't ask if you don't like the answers...

Good Luck...

I prefer stock 10 gallon tanks that I can modify to my hearts content. Did I mention they cost ten bucks?

$650.00 is NOTHING

I can set up two ten gallon tanks and stock them for that money and have enough left to take the Mrs out for dinner. AIO tanks in general are designed to separate the customer from his/her money.

It's not the box for water, it's what put in them that counts.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14188439#post14188439 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Agu
I prefer stock 10 gallon tanks that I can modify to my hearts content. Did I mention they cost ten bucks?

I can set up two ten gallon tanks and stock them for that money and have enough left to take the Mrs out for dinner. AIO tanks in general are designed to separate the customer from his/her money.

It's not the box for water, it's what put in them that counts.

very well said i had everything but corals and rock in my 15g for under $200 and i love it besides you don't have to go through special manufactuers when you just buy a stock tank unlike the AIO's where you have to find pieces that fit into those pesky back chambers

Nice ideas everyone!

Kaiden is right no matter what size tank it is so many factors come along with the price tags. I can sell you a 10G box, but that would be all. All in ones are intended to simplify things for you.

Agu brings a great point as well. If no all in one suits you go with something simple and build off it.

No reef tank is ugly. We cant all have TOTM, but we strive for perfection with whatever time, patience, husbandry skills, and economic factor we may have.

Rhizo - Nice Post....

I must apologize, it seems I was a little harsh in my post. I must have had a few Adult Beverages that night.

Anyhow, the idea of Reef Tank, Fresh Water Tank, Hamster Tank and Many other types of just tanks is to give what is inside of it the best chance of living.

You are never going to find the best solution as everyone including me has thoughts on what is the best and what is not. It is my choice to not use just a 10 gallon tank with rock, water, coral, lights, substrate and a heater. I have my own experiences in the hobby just as the next guy.

I also keep a lot of live coral that cost me much much more than the tank itself, so I for one use more on my system than just the all in one.

My finnex tank right now has a Geo Kalk and Geo Calcium Reactor on it. Is it necessary, maybe not to the next guy but to me it simplifies my life and my worries.

I guess what I am trying to say is don't take everything to heart... Get what you can and just make sure you do your regular water changes every week. You should be fine...

By the way I only paid, 240.00 for my Finnex! I bought it without the lights. So I guess, you can always try to find lights used.

One important thing to remember in this hobby is that the phrase "you get what you pay for" is most of the time spot on...

Good luck...

IMO all the AIO nano tanks are "give or take" the exact same thing...

Seriously, its a glass box with a false wall to create a 'sump' and it holds water..

If it doesnt leak, your cool. And like AGU said: "It's not the box for water, it's what put in them that counts."

The CADlights 39G Signature is top notch, the HQI is great and the Pinwheel skimmer is super strong and Acrylic too. here are other things i love about the Signature tank that others didnt have:

8mm thick glass
frameless and furniture styling
top quality HQI, LEDHO lights
500GPH
full refugium
cooling fan
Loc-line plumbing
100G Pin-wheel skimmer

i didnt like the Finnex because it looked exactly like the typical AGA 30G pet store style. and you easily can buy and glue acrylic to make those chambers. its cheap compared to the other AIO's but if you add up a 30G AGA ($50) and some acrylic you can make one for much cheaper than $200. the glass is thin. the equipment included is also lower quality and performance and with all theupgrades needed, it just came out to much more money than many of the AIOs available.

i wanted a high quality tank/equipment that had everything from day 1 without modding or spending more thats why i went with the CAD. CAD cabinets are also very strong and high quality, they even offer solid wood Cherry cabinets too.

Back