what's up with my frogspawn?

sillygoose

I posted this on my local club forum and then remembered that this could be a good place too. Does anyone know why my frogspawn has developed a bubble? I've posted both a flash and non-flash picture.
sillygooseglass
sillygooseglass

I had a Frogspawn a year ago that had the same thing. It was doing great and one morning it was receeded and had a HUGE bubble just off the center. It expanded more during the course of the day but the bubble remained. I watched it in the evening right after I fed the tank and to my surprise I noticed when it caught some of the mysis in the water column I saw my darn blue legged hermit come flying out and climbing all over it to pick off what the poor thing had trapped. The hermit would literally pinch and pull it tissue and thats what I believe must have caused the problem. The hermit would also pick at my open brain corals and I immediately removed the hermit and just gave it back to my LFS. After two weeks the bubble decreased in size and finally dissapeared.

Oh! Also forgot to mention that my frogspawn loved moderate flow and a lot of light. Not sure if your placement is similar.

Thanks everyone. I guess I will know in a week or so. It has been really healthy and has grown like crazy over the last year, but I have never noticed this kind of thing before. It too has moderate flow and bright light.

It is a protective "coating" that euphyllia use to guard their bodies/mouths when splitting. Just leave it be and it will be two heads soon.

Back