Whats your experience with arrow crabs?

garvin90

I've been doing some reading and getting mixed reviews on arrow crabs.

Does anyone here keep them and if so, are they better for fish only setups or are they fine in a reef setting with a diverse popullation or other invertabrates? Also I've read they don't have a good survival rate, is this true?

Ray

I have one in my 130G (FOWLR at the moment) and he's doing great. But it's alway's a hit or miss when adding them to the tank. If you don't aquamate them right the second they hit your tank they will die. This guy i aquamated him for little over 2 hour's very very slowly and he still spazed a little when i added him.

Ok well thats understandable since inverts are alot more sensitive to water parameters. What about aggression or just plain trying to eat everybody in sight?

I'm sure this will help too. Denizens of the deep: 4-Green Chromis, Tonga Serpent Star, Lawnmower Blenny, Orangespot Shrimp Goby(and symbiont) and a Bumblebee Goby(yes the ones found in brackish). If youve read my other posts you also know that a Copperband Butterfly(hopefully-see other post) and a Fiji Rabbitfish will be joining the group in about 3 weeks as well.

Last edited:
Just bought one a week ago. Hysterical! He is in with an Emp Angel, Flame hawk, yel tang, pj card and orge tl damsel. He uses his monster legs to keep the angel from getting to close and it is drop dead funny. No problem with acclimating (drip method) gave him a small piece of cocktail shrimp that he fought over with a serpent star. Hear they get a little big and can give smaller fish a run for their money. Oh yeah, don't expose them to air. I hear they can retain it and suffocate if it doesn't release after resubmersion.

Back