Where do most o the Stomapods in the hobby come from?

shrimpinator123

So, I have always been fascinated by mantis shrimp, and have been looking around at all of the major aquatic retailers. I have only seen peacocks, and a couple assorted species listings that give you one out of mix of species. But looking on here I have seen people with a wide variety of species. So, where do you gt them? Are most hitchhikers or will wholesalers import them specially? Thanks!

Yep some retailers can order specific species, although there seems to be a big case of misidentification from a lot of places. Also as you said also slot come in as hitchikers, usually in live rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where do most o the Stomapods in the hobby come from?

I've gotten mine from LFS via wholesalers.

Edited to add:
They are terrible at ID. Basically if it's green, it's a peacock...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So, I have always been fascinated by mantis shrimp, and have been looking around at all of the major aquatic retailers. I have only seen peacocks, and a couple assorted species listings that give you one out of mix of species. But looking on here I have seen people with a wide variety of species. So, where do you gt them? Are most hitchhikers or will wholesalers import them specially? Thanks!

Tampa Bay Saltwater (a sponsor/seller here) can get you a wennaere.

Ok, so looks like options are wholesalers, hichhikers, or species off of online retailers. I will have to check out tampa bay. Thinking about setting up a ten or twenty gal for a smaller species since I have some extra dry rock laying around.

Tampa Bay Saltwater (a sponsor/seller here) can get you a wennaere.

Or, since many consider them "œbad" hitchhikers, maybe you can find someone who gets one with their TBS rock who will give you theirs!

I have no idea just what the actual frequency is in TBS rock, but I got at least four in my 80 gal "œpackage" two years ago. I ended up with two "” coolest things in my mixed reef. Allthough if I could talk my wife into letting me set up a second tank I would consider moving them.

I got my wennerae from salty bottom reef company... if you order a lot from them or get one of the specials like I did, I just asked to switch out the wennerae for a few things in the package :) that way you're not paying $50+ just for shipping one tiny mantis!

Thanks for the info, and the link to salty bottom reef! My mantis build probably won't be for a couple months as I still have a great deal of research to do.

I've bought them at bait stores down at the coast here in Texas and used them as fishing bait. I'm not sure what the species was, but they were dull and brown and smashers IIRC. Didn't get a single damn bite using them and only tried them because they were out of all the other good stuff.

I've bought them at bait stores down at the coast here in Texas and used them as fishing bait. I'm not sure what the species was, but they were dull and brown and smashers IIRC. Didn't get a single damn bite using them and only tried them because they were out of all the other good stuff.

Funny, I like to fish too. Never seen them in bait shops, I am going to keep my eye out now. Where they live?

I’ve been looking for a havanensis or scyllarus for a while and I haven’t had any luck, my LFS said that they would order one if there supplier has them but they havent had much luck.

Check bluezooaquatics. They have them in the inverts section and you can order a few different species. More so then were an option 8 years ago when I had my ternatensis.

Back