Where to get live rock - not just bare cured rock?

tgurske

I gave away all my rock a few years ago when taking a break from the hobby and now I need new rock for a new tank. All the stores sell live rock but it's really just bare cured rock. It may have bacteria on it, but nothing else. I want to reestablish the algea, macroalgea, bugs, worms, little shrimps, pollups, mushrooms and other little secrets that appear from time to time in established rock. I can buy corals and other cuttings but I still won't get the rest of it. What's the best way to get rock with living stuff on it? Or do people try not to have all that stuff in the tank now? The only thing I didn't like was the Aiptasia.

I’ve received great Caribbean Live Rock from KP Aquatics.

Also have heard phenomenal things about Tampa Bay Saltwater’s Gulf rock.

For other Gulf rock there’s Gulf Live Rock and Salty Bottom Reef Company…heard good things about them too.

There’s also limited amounts of Australian rock being imported but, it’s pretty pricy…around $25 per pound. But the pics I’ve seen of it look fantastic.

I’ve received great Caribbean Live Rock from KP Aquatics.

Also have heard phenomenal things about Tampa Bay Saltwater’s Gulf rock.

For other Gulf rock there’s Gulf Live Rock and Salty Bottom Reef Company…heard good things about them too.

There’s also limited amounts of Australian rock being imported but, it’s pretty pricy…around $25 per pound. But the pics I’ve seen of it look fantastic.
This^^^

Wow - great reply! I like near Tampa so I am going to buy some stuff from them and pick it up. Thank you griss!
If I’m not mistaken they usually have both “base” and “premium”. I’m not sure if the warehouse is open to walk ins but I know they do local pick up

Their premium rocks are exactly what I need and the pricing is good!
I've never ordered from them because back when I was looking for live rock, they only did airport pickup and I just didn't have time to drive to the airport to pick it up. But, I've never heard a bad review of their rock.

Ditto on the sources Griss listed. Definitetly get it shipped by the fastest method possible (I always get mine shipped air freight).

Back