Where to get macroalgae and marine vascular plants

[welcome] Master_pp

I'm kind of bummed because I really wanted to order some of the "bananna bunch" caulerpa or whatever it was called. Now it's no longer listed :(

Come get them your self.
I sponser a course like event 12th-14th of July in Florida(Key Largo).

It's done cheap, we stay at a Marine lab so the room and board is cheap, we get about 50 species each year.

I limit the event to 15 folks.
Flights are cheap or the drive might not be that far.

It's all macro's and marine plants.
We collect and explore during the day, ID at night.
We go to the reef, the mangrove forest(as cool as any reef) roots, island hop and snorkel around various locations after new species.

I've done this for ther last 3 years.

Regards,
Tom Barr

3rd annual Plant Fest July 8-14th 2005!
subscribe@BarrReport.com Get connected
www.BarrReport.com Get the information

Re: Where to get macroalgae and marine vascular plants

biomekanic said:
Could this be made a sticky thread? It's a frequently asked question, and rather than repost the vendors over, and over again in thread after thread, why not just have it up front.

billsreef.com - wide variety of macroalgae's, and vascular grasses.
harvested from the New England coastline and Bill's growout tanks
ipsf.com - wide variety of macroalgaes from the Pacific, raised in their facility.
inlandaquatics.com - a source for chaeto and other macroalgaes, grown in their own tanks.

pls feel free to add other vendors I have missed, these are just the three I deal with on a regular basis.

Hi,
There is a new vendor of live MacroAlgaes, live Copepods, live Rotifers, live Plankton :
http://www.marine-life.biz/catalog/index.php?language=en

Their Website : http://www.marinelife.com

They ship in Europe and Switzerland in 48 hours with UPS.

Max

Maximus, welcome to Reef Central. Thanks for the European links. Interesting to see what you guys are up to over there.

For the record, most macro algae cannot survive long transport.
A few species can, most cannot.
So expect mush unless it's cool and cool packs are added.

Use the fastest shipping method and cool packs always.
Or come get the weeds yourself:)

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com

FW and Marine Plant fest
July 8-14th Florida

piercho said:
Maximus, welcome to Reef Central. Thanks for the European links. Interesting to see what you guys are up to over there.

Hi,
Thank you very much. I am happy to have found a macro-algae forum. Before i meet this forum, i was wondering if i was the only one to be interested with algaes !

Have you made a list of the best macro-algaes wich grow well in a refugium or reef tank ?

Max

No, but it would be a good subject for a thread!

For sandbeds in brightly lit tanks, Udotea, Penicillius, and sand-associated Halimeda species are good tank alga, IME. They are resistant to most grazers, except urchins.

For tanks running a little richer in nutrients and are brightly lit, I like Sargassum in the display. Doesn't spread across rockwork, but can grow quite large up into the water column anchored from its holdfast. Resistant to grazers.

Chaetomorpha is an algae often recommended over here for refugia. I've found that at very low nutrient levels, other algae outcompete it. At higher nutrient levels it can be overwhelmed by filamentous algae growing on it. But still, for many tanks, an effective algae for a vegetative filter. Many caulerpa are used for refugia. Not a big fan of caulerpa, some are invasive in the wild if they escape your tank. Some like C. racemosa var peltata, are very difficult to control in reef tanks.

Thats a hyper-brief list of a few common algae available over here. Julian Sprung's little book on algae is a good resource on common algae and pest algae you are likely to encounter in the hobby.

WOuldn't it be easier to just ask around and get some stuff from local reefers? LIke we all need to empty out/prune/cull our refugiums once in a while right? Get some that way, then you don't have to search all over to find it, unless you want a certain sp. that no one has around, ...

For Europe only

For Europe only

taku said:
yea but most of us are in america.. looks like that shipping section is in french :confused:
Hello,
yes, they are shipping in Europe only. (and Switzerland)
Max

taku said:
yea but most of us are in america.. looks like that shipping section is in french :confused:
Click on the UK flag in upper right corner of the web page after you go to the shipping page. That brings up the English version of the page.

As an update to this thread:

Florida Pets address has changed to their name dot com.
Gulf Coast has been out of buisness for many months now and is not currently shipping plants, nor do they seem to have plans to reopen.
Marine Depot and Live Aquaria also have macroalgaes.

The best source for miscellaneous macro's may be each other here on RC, or to bug your LFSs to death! :)

>Sarah

Back