Which are Male and Female

Giovanni

AKA Flippa
Which are which?

lg-0329131-225t.jpg

IMHO, those three P. parvirostris, "Sunset Anthias" are all males/ submales.

The one in the box is the dominant/ prime, followed by the upper fish, and then the bottom one.

Sunsets are one of the prettiest small anthias readily available; however, they are very prone to transition into males in aquaria.

They were advertised as two female and one male. I was very excited to order them and did not pay attention to their particular color in regard to sex. I got them yesterday and they fed almost immediately and I got a good look at them and thought that they all looked like males also. They are in a 330g tank so maybe they wont end up killing each other.

May I ask what your reasoning is to this?

Over the years I have lost more animals in QT than to Disease from no QT. To lower my risk, I only purchase animals with a known history. All my fish with the exception of a couple in the beginning come from LiveAquaria's DD. They do an excellent job of QT and treatment better than most would be able to do at home.

Over the years I have lost more animals in QT than to Disease from no QT. To lower my risk, I only purchase animals with a known history. All my fish with the exception of a couple in the beginning come from LiveAquaria's DD. They do an excellent job of QT and treatment better than most would be able to do at home.

..and Kevin is the first person that says to qt all of his livestock...I wish you good luck and hope all are healthy but 1 sick fish can wipe out a whole tank so insanely fast...

..and Kevin is the first person that says to qt all of his livestock...I wish you good luck and hope all are healthy but 1 sick fish can wipe out a whole tank so insanely fast...

You are correct. However even using a QT only lowers risk and does not eliminate risk. I believe that there are those who QT religiously who have had disease appear in the main display. It is all about managing risk. I choose to believe that using a QT places more risk on the fish in QT than not using QT does on the main display of fish. Will it come back to bite me? Maybe, maybe not.

This is no different that debating when to drop full coverage insurance on an aging car but in reverse. How much does your car need to be worth to warrant the added expense of full coverage insurance.

At some point I may start to feel I want the added insurance of using a QT or I may stop adding fish all together. I do reserve those options.

You are correct. However even using a QT only lowers risk and does not eliminate risk. I believe that there are those who QT religiously who have had disease appear in the main display. It is all about managing risk. I choose to believe that using a QT places more risk on the fish in QT than not using QT does on the main display of fish. Will it come back to bite me? Maybe, maybe not.

This is no different that debating when to drop full coverage insurance on an aging car but in reverse. How much does your car need to be worth to warrant the added expense of full coverage insurance.

At some point I may start to feel I want the added insurance of using a QT or I may stop adding fish all together. I do reserve those options.

cool, a better analogy would be playing Russian roulette...just a matter of time before something bad happens...

You are correct. However even using a QT only lowers risk and does not eliminate risk.

If you proativly treat for disease the risk is virtually zero. Not using a qt your risk is quickly approaching high levels with each additional fish.

I doubt you'll have an issue in that size tank. I'd suggest talking to LA about getting more females, explaining to them that you got some males. They may work out a deal with you.

I doubt you'll have an issue in that size tank. I'd suggest talking to LA about getting more females, explaining to them that you got some males. They may work out a deal with you.

They came from Divers Den. I called them and they asked for a photo to ID them by. I have not heard back from them.

Back