Which Setup Would You Pick

Waffen06

Hi all now into week 4 of my journey to rejoin the reefing community. Ive been looking for a used setup and trying to stay within my budget. Ive missed out on a couple deals I wasnt fast enough for and a couple the sellers changed their mind (agreed on $500 for a setup and then decided he wanted $800 instead) anyways I have two similar setups that are about the same price (option 2 is $50 less) and would love input.

Option 1: Red Sea Nano 20 gallon. Comes with the factory stand and all the factory accessories (pump, heater, skimmer, ato) and the AI Nano HD

Option 2: Nuvo 20 with the aluminum Nuvo stand. Comes with sicce pump, random flow generators, eshopps nano skimmer, heater, screen lid and a light Ive never heard of a Micmol 60 watt LED.

Both are about a year old and still up and running. For the same price which would you pick? I will add option one is about a 5 hour round trip, option 2 is about 20 minutes.

Last edited:
pictures or links.
You have more details on the second option which is why i would pick that. All quality name/trusted brands i personally have bought and will continue to buy. however your right, i would 100% upgrade that light.

pictures or links.
You have more details on the second option which is why i would pick that. All quality name/trusted brands i personally have bought and will continue to buy. however your right, i would 100% upgrade that light.

Option one is basically this setup
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/max-nano-complete-reef-system-red-sea.html
So everything is Red Sea except the AI light

I like the AI nano HD light, Id probably get one for option 2 if I went that way but have seen complaints its not enough for the almost 24" wide Nuvo Id need 2 or a better light therefore raising my cost

I am not a huge fan of AIO tanks, especially when it is a 16G tank for $1100

You can get 20G tank for $20 brand new from Petco (get 2nd one as sump)
Stand you can build for that tank for less than $100
Plumbing would be less than $100
Return pump, $80 or so depending on which one you get
Skimmer, another $100
Light, $150
Overflow box $120

So total you are looking at $690 max, round up to $700, cause why not and you have a bit bigger tank as well.

I am not a huge fan of AIO tanks, especially when it is a 16G tank for $1100

You can get 20G tank for $20 brand new from Petco (get 2nd one as sump)
Stand you can build for that tank for less than $100
Plumbing would be less than $100
Return pump, $80 or so depending on which one you get
Skimmer, another $100
Light, $150
Overflow box $120

So total you are looking at $690 max, round up to $700, cause why not and you have a bit bigger tank as well.

^^^This^^^

Why buy used when you can go new for the same or less. and have it the way you want it?

Back