Which tripod?

How would you rate the 486rc2 vs 804rc2?

804 weighs .7lbs more.

Someone was just talking about not being able to pan with the 486, wasnt sure if that would be a problem for me or not.

The 804 is a pan/tilt head the 486 is a Ball head. Both will work, and it's largely a matter of personal preference, but I find a ball head much more practical. To me, having to independently adjust 3 axis is a real hassle. It's try that the 486 has no true panning lock it's still quite possible to use like that. The 488 is also an option.

The only reason why I recommend the 486 is that it's a fairly stable, low cost head. There are lots of other options available if you're willing to spend more money.

Cheers

Would it be too risky to give the adorama flashpoint carbon fiber tripods/ballheads a go?

My only experience with store-brand stuff is Gander Mountain fishing rods/reels and they are shimano or some pretty decent brand reel/rod company rebranded, I assume this is what the adorama tripods are as well, if thats the case the only thing i dont like about it is the 4 legs. but at almost 1.5 lbs lighter than the 190 legs... I am a backpacker so that is nice, since it is the same price.

I don't have any direct experience with them. My hunch is that they're rebranded knock-offs, probably Benro -- just like Amvona/Dynatran, Induro. If I were to go that route I'd trust the legs a lot more than the head. For backpacking the Really Right Stuff BH-25 is a slick little head.

I read a review that said they might be slik.

I was thinking of maybe going with the flashpoint legs and the 484 or 486. I think I am ok with not opening up the smallest section of legs, and it sounds like they are pretty stable if you don't. plus adorama gives them a 5yr warrenty, that has to say something no?

Guess ill give a review come mid august how they hold up in the backcountry :c/

must say first impressions are very positive. More than I was expecting, since I never actually got to see one in person. Does seem to be a bit of vibration when fully extended, but that is to be expected with the four legs.

Will get to try it out at arlington this friday.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13661882#post13661882 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mchava
so how does these tripod stack up. B&H has it on sale right now.
Bogen / Manfrotto 190XDB Tripod Legs w/Fixed 484RC2 Mini Ball Head

Well folks just wanted to stop by and say thanks for all the help. I finally bought a decent tripod. I went ahead and bought this set up. Since its discontinued, I got it at a great deal. I also bought the canon 50mm f1.8 lens and a wireless remote. I am off to tryout my new set up. Just wanted to stop by and thank you all.

All, what do you think about the following combo:

D5000 / Manfrotto 055XPROB / 486CR2 Ball head

I dont see myself ever owning any lens longer/heavier than perhaps the 55-200mm. Im 6' tall, which ruled out the 190XPROB. My budget is <$300 for the tripod and the head. Is there a "better" system that I should be comparing to the 55/486?

Doug, do the manfrotto 190's have a stability hook, or something similar? I am looking into this and the RC82 ballhead ... can that shoot on portrait orientation?

Sorry, I don't recall off the top of my head but it would surprise me if it didn't have an option to hang your bag or a weight. I've actually found a counterweight to sometimes cause a loss of stability. The problem is that in windy conditions, the weight can swing, causing the whole rig to move. It can be helpful in some conditions but I wouldn't consider it's absence to be a deal breaker.

I'm not familiar with that head. Link?

I'm actually not aware of any head that doesn't allow you to switch to portrait. If that's something that you envision yourself doing a lot you should really consider some sort of L-bracket solution. Really Right Stuff, Kirk Enterprises and Novaflex all make them and most can be used with any head that supports an Arca-Swiss quick release plate.

Cheers

Sorry Doug, I meant the Manfrotto 486RC2 Ball Head. I am debating between the Manfrotto 190XB ($129), and the 190XDB ($98). Do these tripod legs have a hook for stability? I cannot tell by the picture, or description ... it seems silly to me that any tripod would be without a hook!

what is the best tri pod under 300 for a Rebel T2i with a 100mm macro? needs to be able to do top downs.

with that budget...........im pretty pleased with my Slik Master classic tripod with a Manfrotto 3265 head

roughly $100 for the tripod and $140 for the head I think I paid.

edit- funny......I thought I was replying to a single post I clicked on from the main page and realized we are on page 4 :)

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I posted 2 yrs ago that I bought a Manfrotto 190CX legs.. it was great and I used it for 2 yrs with no problems. While the 190 was a great pod, I found that it's a bit too big and bulky for my trips. Well I recently sold it so I can get a.... Gitzo :D

I'm strongly leaning towards the GT1541T. Any experiences/comments on this legs? How are the twist locks compared to the flip locks? I'm thinking about pairing it with Markins Q3T and an L-bracket for the D700.

I better get the Gitzo asap before Dogfish Head and Singh-Ray drains all my money! :lol:

I've been using the slightly heavier version (GT2541) for a couple years and really like it. At least in my experience, the twist locks are faster. I haven't used the Markins head but I highly recommend an L-bracket; them make all the difference.

thanks Doug. I'm doing some reading on 1541 vs 2541... What made you decide on the 2541?

Back