Which would you recommend?

Bathel

I'm in need of new bulbs for my Coralife Lunar hood.

I was planning on getting 2 of the 96w 50/50 10k/460nm Actintic lights from Current on DrsFS site as they are on sale.

I then thought .. what about doing a 50/50 420/460 nm Actintic and a 50/50 6.7k/10k light?

Would the second option give me any benifits to my tank?

I have a 45g tank (24" tall) and it host a lot of live rock, a rock anemone, a Bulb Anemone, Candy Cane Coral, Bubble Coral and an orange tube coral. Lots of mushrooms also and a few fish and shirmps.

What I'm replacing is double 460nm actintic and a double 10k.

I know what you're feeling. Current unfortunately does not make a full 10k bulb.....(not that I know of). Your best bet would be to go with one full 10k bulb and the other bulb a 50/50 of 420/460nm actinic. The dual daylight 6.7k/10k bulb might be a "hair" better for the corals but is far less pleasing to the eye and you won't loose out on much by using a full 10k if anything (as this is the preferred bulb for most reefers anyway; I've actually never heard of someone using that 6.7k/10k bulb unless it's the one that came with the fixture). You most likely won't want to do what you were originally planning in the 50/50's that are both 10k/460nm for the fact that you won't be able to do dawn/dusk.

eee

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6916435#post6916435 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by smleee
I know what you're feeling. Current unfortunately does not make a full 10k bulb.....(not that I know of). Your best bet would be to go with one full 10k bulb and the other bulb a 50/50 of 420/460nm actinic. The dual daylight 6.7k/10k bulb might be a "hair" better for the corals but is far less pleasing to the eye and you won't loose out on much by using a full 10k if anything. You most likely won't want to do what you were originally planning in the 50/50's that are both 10k/460nm for the fact that you won't be able to do dawn/dusk.

eee

I hadn't even thought of the dusk.dawn situation ... i run it that way now and totally overlooked that ... Doh.

Is the 10k daylight bulb listed on DrFS as (SunPaq Daylight 10000Ã"šÃ‚ºK 96W) not a full 10k bulb?

Ah whoops.........I have the 130W PC's so there's no full 10k for those. I'm sorry, yes that bulb is a full 10k.

eee

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6916493#post6916493 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by smleee
Ah whoops.........I have the 130W PC's so there's no full 10k for those. I'm sorry, yes that bulb is a full 10k.

eee
Cool ... thank you for your input.

Back