White Balance

eohlin

I'm shooting with a D700 and just picked up a one of the Nikon 60mm 2.8 Macro lenses...seems really nice so far.

Typically I'd through a grey card or something I know is white in a setting and shoot it for white balance...is that possible in an aquarium?

Thanks...

eric

It's possible. Use something white though, a plastic plate comes to mind. Or do like most of us and shoot in raw then adjust the WB in post processing.

Pretty much always shoot raw...so adjusting in post is what I typically do.

Just thought a white/grey card would make it so much easier and more accurate.

Ive used white objects in the aquarium while shooting in raw. If you use the grey card setting then you will have to adjust the white balance afterwards anyways because the corals will be more of their natural color which is much more brown than we would like. Grey card and a little blue shift in the post editing does the trick pretty well...

RAW as well but the sand bed can function as a white card as well if you have enough visible and it is clean. Have been doing that for years prior to RAW.

If one is shooting in raw, there is no need for any white objects. During post, just move the color temp slider til the colors are right. Done.

I set a piece of white 1" pvc near the front glass to set white balance............make sure to zoom in enough to cover the whole view screen in white.

Back