White mycelium-like stuff growing on coral skeleton.

rt67ghy

Hello. Recently a hammer coral frag was added to my tank. I am keeping it for someone since it wasn't opening properly in his tank. I think I discovered the culprit - a white network of some growth that resembles mycelium. It is growing right up to the flesh of the coral and causing it irritation. Has anyone had experience with this and, if so, please could you suggest a remedy? Thanks in advance.

Hello. Recently a hammer coral frag was added to my tank. I am keeping it for someone since it wasn't opening properly in his tank. I think I discovered the culprit - a white network of some growth that resembles mycelium. It is growing right up to the flesh of the coral and causing it irritation. Has anyone had experience with this and, if so, please could you suggest a remedy? Thanks in advance.
Good description! While I believe there are some marine fungi, it's likely a type of sponge. Just a guess.

I haven’t seen that either. I’d do a dip and see how that affects it. I would be very careful with a toothbrush so you don’t damage the flesh base of the hammer wrapped around the skeleton

I would be very careful with a toothbrush so you don’t damage the flesh base of the hammer wrapped around the skeleton
I would suggest a magnifier... I can't live without one anymore.

I have a set of those $30 headband eye loupes from Amazon as well as some single eye loupes and a surplus stereo microscope with some low power wide angle objectives (mostly used for soldering surface mount components, etc.)

Thanks for the responses everyone!. I also had never seen anything like this before. It does appear to be some kind of a sponge. If I am not mistraken, sponges like growing in the dark and the tank it was in before had the lights dialed down a lot for a new elegance coral. We did a dip in Revive and then an iodine dip. Then I scraped a lot of the stuff off using a sharp knife (under a magnifying glass being careful not to touch the flesh) and the hammer opened as if nothing was wrong with it the following day. I will examine it carefully to see if it has all gone.

Back