Who has solved a chaeto no grow problem?

Icewing726

I'm searching for solutions here, tons of threads out there start walking down a theoretical path only to abruptly end with no update on whether it worked or if they gave up. I've killed a huge amount of chaeto and it's getting old.

I have a large section of the sump dedicated to it and a very very small power head to circulate the water in the area. I started dosing Seachem Phosphorous/Potassium/and occasionally Iron. I actually did the nitrate once and kicked myself when I realized what I did, not sure if it's the same nitrates I'm trying to kick but still :headwally:.

Anyway, I also moved this chaeto to the top of the water near a baffle so it gets the most direct light possible from my chaeto max leds (I'm about to buy a clip on light and put a plant light down there too.

Like I said, who has had this problem and fixed it? Why can't I grow this supposedly extremely fast growing plant?

Mine stalled until I started iron dosing. I do randy holmes Farley's homemade recipe weekly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dunno---I hate to say, but I got really good growth back when I used an ordinary CFL flood at 6500k in a shoplight body, the same as you use in auto repair.

It's all about the par! You need to light your refug with a light that can keep up with your display lights. I've been running kessil grow light for the past to years and they grow chaeto like crazy. I also never understood the spinning of the chaeto, I've never done it and mine is green even all the way at the bottom of the tank. This is just what works for me. Like sk8r said he had success with a cfl bulb!

I ordered a baseball size chunk online earlier this year and it did the same thing you describe. Never grew at all, but didn't die, for several months. I was just using a clip on light socket with a flood lamp over it. I switched to a LED flood to try and get brighter light. The chaeto now fills a 15" square area of my sump and I take out about 1/2 gallon every other week. Don't know if it was the bulb, the chaeto acclimating, or something else, but I will take it. No other changes.

What are your nutrient levels (nitrate/phosphate?)
What light are you using?

What is the reason you want to grow chaeto?

What are your nutrient levels (nitrate/phosphate?)
What light are you using?

What is the reason you want to grow chaeto?

Finally, someone asked the N & P question.

People don't keep chaeto to grow chaeto, they keep chaeto to reduce N & P.

Finally, someone asked the N & P question.

On the money. If you want to grow macro algae you need a different approach.
This might not be beneficial to your reef tank.
Light is the most limiting factor for algal growth, followed by nitrogen and phosphorus limitations. Algal productivity is often correlated to levels of nitrogen (N) and phosphorus (P) (N:p ratio). Other nutrients are required including carbon, silica, and other micro nutrients. You can dose some nutrients into the water but they must be dissolving forms. There are fertilizers avail for planted tanks. In a high nutrient tank, you dose a nitrogen source such as ammonia for growth. If the result is too much micro algae (hair) you add Co2 to combat that. I dont think this is what we want in our in home coral reefs.
Let me add :
For some reason certain types of algae will not grow in certain tanks. Why? I dont know, but it is prob chemistry related. Since you have a prob with chaeto growing maybe try a red macro.

cfccc840cc356b1a3485b33fbf76523c.png

It's been working for me almost a year now.

Awesome thanks.

Can any iron tablets be used or do they have to be specifically from Fergeson? Canada doesn't seem t stock that brand so I was curious if another brand would do. I can get these easily in stores:

http://a.co/9cOnC7i

http://a.co/9LU2i99

I really don't know about those. I was able to find the Fergon tablets and bought a few packs that should last a lifetime.

I'd look at the ingredients in those alternatives and see if they match the ones recommended and go from there.

I really don't know about those. I was able to find the Fergon tablets and bought a few packs that should last a lifetime.

I'd look at the ingredients in those alternatives and see if they match the ones recommended and go from there.

I appreciate the help. I wouldn't see why it would HAVE to be Fergon but then again Randy Farley knows an infinite amount more about chemistry then I do so that's why I was wondering if it had to be those specific name brands.

BTW is Randy still around here?

I appreciate the help. I wouldn't see why it would HAVE to be Fergon but then again Randy Farley knows an infinite amount more about chemistry then I do so that's why I was wondering if it had to be those specific name brands.

BTW is Randy still around here?

Yeah I just followed exactly what he said to avoid any mistakes. He is pretty active over on the other main reefing forum but not as much here anymore.

Anything with ferric gluconate will work fine. Your local pharmacy will have a few choices for iron supplements.

Thats where I was going with my question..
I'd suspect that their N&P levels are already low.. So at this point why the need to grow chaeto?
And I figured it might be a "because thats what the cool kids do" type of thing..
same reason newbies start out their tanks with GFO rectors,etc... on them.. They don't know why people use them.. Just that many tanks do so it must be the right thing...

Back