Why "aged" salt water?

bamf25

I do it, we all do it, or have at least been told we should be doing it. That new salt water should be left overnight or better yet 24 hours before we use it in our tanks. I have heard that it is because "new" salt water is irritating. Is there any hard evidence this is true, and has anyone ever looked into when salt waater has been aged enough.

I use mine within 2-3 hours of mixing. I've never noticed any problem with it, or any irritation to my fish or corals. I use IO salt. JMTC & GL!

I mix a 50 gallon drum at a time, which last me about 4 weeks. I let it run for 48 hours before first use. Everyweek after, I turn on the pump about 3 hours each week before I use it.

I read some ware that it has something to do with oxygen equilibrium or something like that. I do it just because it usually takes that long for my salt to fully dissolve.

Is there anything wrong with keeping a resivour full of cold saltwater for a week+ before using it?

Mix it, let it sit for awhile, then heat it and pump it? I plan on doing that but will it get "stale" or anything

Is there anything wrong with keeping a resivour full of cold saltwater for a week+ before using it?

Mix it, let it sit for awhile, then heat it and pump it? I plan on doing that but will it get "stale" or anything

Mine mixes (disolves and clarifies) within 5-10 minutes with a Korilia 4 and a MJ1200 used in the process. The pumps keep the water at a good rolling boil type movement at the surface also, adding to gas exchange.

Last edited:
I've always mixed it up and pumped it in within 5 minutes. That said, it goes into the sump at a slow rate. So another ten minutes to transfer 5 gallons with lots of mixing in the sump which has lots of flow going into and out of the display tank and into and out of the skimmer. I can't see how aging it would make any difference at all. It is, for all practical purposes, fully dissolved in a few minutes of mixing.

I have heard mixing/aerating for 24 hours to achieve carbon dioxide/oxygen equilibrium. I imagine pH, mag, calc, alk take time to stabilize as well.. I wait at least over night, although I'm about to do a water change with water I just made- my reef octopus xp-2000sss cone skimmer overflowed a full skimmer cup back into my sump... losing fish and tank is crashing and I'm about to quit the hobby :fun2:

The carbonate and CO2 take some time to equilibrate. For small water changes its probably not a big deal. I don't like to let my water sit for more than a day as it seems to precipitate a fair bit of calcium over time, especially if its not heated. I have a heater I keep in the bucket to minimize it and its better to have the water at aquarium temp.

I use a MJ1200 and when its clear "its clear" ...
maybe I'm wrong: but if indeed the salt is totally disolved and of a similar temp, I can't see the anything less than a 20% change causing major issues regardless of actual gas levels (more or less)

but erh uh disclaimer: that does not include using hot water, which I've done and given the fish the "bends" believe it or not

Last edited:
I agree that carbon dioxide equilibration is one reason to wait. Some salts mix up to a high initial pH that might be problematic for larger changes. A few hours of aeration seems to be enough for me, given the products I use. You could test the pH of some freshly-mixed water, if you're interested.

I do it mainly to stabilize the temp. I keep a few gallons on hand all of the time in case I need to do an emergency change. I've seen corals retract after adding just freshly mixed water. They seem to do better when the water has aged a while.

I have heard mixing/aerating for 24 hours to achieve carbon dioxide/oxygen equilibrium. I imagine pH, mag, calc, alk take time to stabilize as well.. I wait at least over night, although I'm about to do a water change with water I just made- my reef octopus xp-2000sss cone skimmer overflowed a full skimmer cup back into my sump... losing fish and tank is crashing and I'm about to quit the hobby :fun2:

One skimmer cup is crashing your tank?

Wow

the solutes and proteins came from that tank.

Could it be anything else?

Sorry to hear of your losses, hope you stay in it with us.

Back