Why are tanks so expensive? Should I go with an L Shaped

moneymm

Looking online I am amazed and confused by the prices of some tanks, $3,500 for some rectangle pieces of glass held together by silicone. sometimes only 1500 or 2000 for the same size just different brands. whats the difference?

can i just build my own, is there much more to it than it seems?

why are they so much money?

I was also considering an L Shaped for the inside corner of my room, this would mean basically two giant rectangle tanks in one, but im sure to buy one, im looking at thousands of dollars extra just because it will be all custom and very large. any tips?

Last edited:
Only tip I can provide is to pay to have one made. Or make sure you have flood insurance. There's a reason good tanks are expensive. Look at glass cages for discount. Also look at the amount of leaks customers have reported. Now look at miracles. And the quality issues they also have.

You pay for experience and not someone to just throw so silicone and glass together.

Nobody's perfect. Some are better than others

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Only tip I can provide is to pay to have one made. Or make sure you have flood insurance. There's a reason good tanks are expensive. Look at glass cages for discount. Also look at the amount of leaks customers have reported. Now look at miracles. And the quality issues they also have.

You pay for experience and not someone to just throw so silicone and glass together.

Nobody's perfect. Some are better than others

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Thanks.

Maybe I'll rethink the L
Shape idea unless I come across a spare 6k.

Don't want to steer you off, but did you get your budget right in first place for your build?
if tank is a money problem what about everything else that goes into the tank?
I have 96x30x30 that i payed $1700 (used) i got tank up and running totaled about 10k now! im talking about all the live stock also.
but I do agree with you. some of the prices are ridiculous for tanks and equipment for this hobby. its like drive Ferrari or drive Honda to work, they both will get the job done, and they both will break at one point.

Last edited:
Don't want to steer you off, but did you get your budget right in first place for your build?
if tank is a money problem what about everything else that goes into the tank?
I have 96x30x30 that i payed $1700 (used) i got tank up and running totaled about 10k now! im talking about all the live stock also.
but I do agree with you. some of the prices are ridiculous for tanks and equipment for this hobby. its like drive Ferrari or drive Honda to work, they both will get the job done, and they both will break at one point.

not even close, i bought my first tank to upgrade the goldfish bowl that died in 2 days from the carnival game the kids won. i thought the tank i spent 700 bucks on was the end of it, prob 5k in.

good point, i am just thinking this time if i do this , i will do it planning out fully so i can get the fish i want and the setup i want to last forever.

Also check around your state for some fish stores that might have used ones, sometimes some very big used ones.

Back