Why is it growing like this?

wmatt140

The edges of my monti are curling down. The pictures I have seen are either growing out or curling up. Is this normal, bad, why?

Tank specs:

90 gallon with a vortech mp40 on reef crest mode and a mag 12 return pump.
1.025 SG
8.3 PH
Ammonia and Nitrates are 0
No nitrates and phosphates that I can measure w/ API kits but I do have some hair algae.
Calcium 420
Mag 1300
Alk 2.5 Meq/l, trying to get to 3.0 with baked baking soda.

DSC02377.jpg

Thanks,

I had a monti that curved down and the grew up, looked kinda like a cowboy hat. It started growing up when I moved it infront of more flow

what I have seen is the shape of a monti has a lot to do with the flow that it is in. Is there flow going down on it?

i think its hard to predict how corals will grow. i had two identical monti frags next to each other, and they both grew different. ive had some develope lots of cups, while others just kept growing outwards. its a surprise, you never know what youll get.

flow

flow

I don't think there is a downward flow, at least not directly. I really don't have anywhere else to move it. I'll just keep watching and see what happens.

Thanks for the info,

It's all about the flow. If you don't have anywere else to move it. move a power head closer to it and give it a month you well see it starting to grow up.

I've had purple caps before and got rid of them because they don't seem to swirl or cup as well as the orange or green caps. They may need higher light and current to cup well.

tweak

tweak

Maybe I can tweak my vortech and see if that changes anything. The variety of a mixed reef is nice but trying to keep everyone happy is getting to be a PITA.

Back