Why so many Problems?

Thanks Paul for keeping it real.
Reefing isn't scarey. Scarey is sailing in storm force winds and hanging on for dear life or I shudder to think about Vietnam! Yipes!

I realize RC isn't the only forum with militants. My husband is on a Jeep forum and those guys are whacked! God forbide you call a Jeep a car. Also, I used to be on Scubaboard until I got depressed about all the things I was doing wrong. I have been reflecting about my diving experiences lately. Sometimes you dive and the visibility is amazing and there is fish everywhere. Other times, I can't see the hand in front of my face. Regardless, the fish carry on. When the diving sucks, pull the plug and head to the Tiki bar! Solutions, not problems. I recently dove with an ol' fella who was using a inner tube as a BC. He had McGyvered it about 25 years ago and it was still in use. I felt like a fool in my $500 BC because SB told me too. That is when I left that forum.

:wildone:

RaineyDays, I didn't realize you were a Mrs RaineyDays. I had a Jeep since they were Willy's Jeeps of which I had a few, then I had 3 or 4 Jeep Cherokees, then a few Jeep CJs. Now I don't have one for the first time in my life.
I also have been diving since the early 70s. My first dive was when I was on R&R from Nam in Australia. Most of my dives are here in NY as I was a wreck and lobster diver and the visability in New York waters is always measured in inches. If we had 2' visability we were over joyed. Probably 50 dives we aborted due to literally zero visability. On those dives, if you wanted to see your watch, you had to put it inside your mask. The last dives I did was in Bora Bora with unlimited visability.
So we have Jeeps and diving in common.
I am a lisenced boat Capt. and I own my own boat and SCUBA equipment so I can dive whenever I like, but I have been getting older lately and don't dive nearly as much as I used to which was every week.
I still use my equipment from the 70s and it still works perfectly, I service it myself because I don't trust anyone with my life.
Tropical diving is so much easier than northern diving.

Oldtank001.jpg

It must have been near the end of the summer here because I don't have my hood on.
This is in the western Long Island Sound off a famous lighthouse.

PaulSCUBA.jpg

ExecutionLighthouse002.jpg

Scarey is sailing in storm force winds and hanging on for dear life
We also have being scared in common.
I crashed in one of these

sortie.jpg

And this one. So the rest of my life is going to be easy and I can't think of much that is going to scare me, except maybe if my prize snail dies, OMG, I don't know what I would do. :facepalm:

Chopper.jpg

Last edited:
Last week we went to Vermont for 4 days and I left a neighbor in charge of the tank. The only thing that went wrong was that my clam died. I eat clams every week so It is not a big deal although the ones I eat are not usually $25.00 each.
The urchin probably carried the thing to a place under a coral where it got shaded or bored to death. I don't know as I was not here but it is what it is, I will just go and get another one and say a novena for the dead one. Better him then me.
I also notice that I can't find my rainsford gobi, it could have croaked, gotten eaten by the multitudes of bristle worms or taken a trip to Tahiti, I don't really know.
Maybe he will show up but again, it is what it is.
That rainsford was fairly new and it is a chance with new fish but if they live a month or two, they will most likely live to get big enough where I give them away.
My fish "almost" never get sick, they may disappear but not from disease. The way I lose the majority of them is from jumping out, my last hawkfish did that as did the one before him and the one before him and the one before him, you get the idea, so I don't buy any more hawkfish. Also firefish, I lost the last one from jumping out and the one before him and the one before him, do you see where I am going with this? Some fish just like to fly so I don't buy them any more.
Jumping out is not a problem, well for the fish it was. But for me I just have to pick up a dried fish and find a few more bucks to replace him. But it was not my fault, it was theirs, that is how I qualify it.:thumbsup:
I guess I could put a cover on the tank but I don't want to so I just don't buy many flying fish.
Don't get me wrong, I do take great care of my fish, but they have a free will and can commit suicide if they want. Most of them live just fine and stay in the water where they are supposed to.
I lost corals from one of the urchins carrying them to a dark place and leaving them there. I am not the type of person that knows eachand every coral I have and where it is. I don't have that great a memory and I also would have a problem listing all my fish, but I will get most of them. Some show up after hiding for a few weeks and I forgot I had him.
I will probably find that rainsford gobi eventually, I just need to look for him for a while.
There are things slithering around in my tank that I find that I am amazed they are in there and I have no idea where they came from. I have a few snails that are about 1 1/2" long. I didn't put them inthere and I think they are from NY waters. I just never noticed them even though it must have taken a couple of years to get to that size.

MeandGrandpa.jpg

Sorry to hear about your missing gobi. If he makes it to Canada, I'll send him packing back home. Meanwhile, I will stay advised by monitoring milk cartons and missing posters in the Post Office! Perhaps he was intimidated by the toilet poster over his house and ran away from home!

He will be fine wherever he is. Probably living nicely under a rock in the back of my reef.
I just came back from visiting my Mother N Law in a nursing hme and this 93 year old guy comes up to me and says "I hear you are an electrician" I told him I was. He said I have an electrical question for you. I said OK what is it?
He asked me "What is an Ohm?"

I started to tell him that an ohm is electrical resistance and it reduces the current flow.
He then said, no thats not what an ohm is. I said "No!" then what is an ohm?
He said "that is an English guys house, you know "His ohm"

Thats what he said. :debi:

I like reading problem threads, not to help the person but to learn from what has happened to them and why. And at the same time hopefully learning what the solution could be, or what your options for fixing the problems are :S. So far for help-full things I have given back to the community is 1 Coral ID lol :D

I guess I could put a cover on the tank but I don't want to so I just don't buy many flying fish.

I find if they are determined enough...

Last fish I had die was a Diamond Goby. I have a glass top, which is technically a nono but the fish haven't voiced any protests. Small opening in that plastic thingy for the HOB filter and that is it. The Diamond Goby managed to jump out and make his way from the back of the tank, across the glass top, all the way to the FRONT of the tank.

Which taught two lessons in life. 1) if a fish is determined to end its life, they'll find a way and 2) cats are useless members of the house cleanup crew. The dogs would have had it taken care of before I noticed.

Back