will an orange spot filefish (osff) eat porites?

CTaylor

I hope it won't. Mine eats frozen, doing great. I have a xmas rock that my cbb is picking at the worms. I was convinced it wouldnt b/c I had the rock way up high. But the cbb still occasionally picks. I have a tank just for my osff that I can put the xmas /porites in. Will the fish eat the coral or the worms? I dont think it would the worms. And I dont think it would the porites as they are obviously not acropora. \
?
TIA

CT - Every fish is an individual. That's why some are jerks & some not.
There is really only 1 way to see. Not what you wanted I know but?

mine has so far only bothered acropra and millepora. i have a birdsnest in my tank and it's the only SPS with polyp extension. lol

they seem to like the slimey corals the most. i've been half convinced for a while now that they're actually going after the coral mucus, and just accidentally end up ingesting pieces of polyps.

over the years i certainly haven't noticed any slow down in growth with the harassment either.

just figured i'd toss this out there, i came to the mucus conclusion partially based off watching my OSFF, seeing that my corals aside from polyp extension weren't actually being harmed by their harassment as far as growth rate, color, etc, and from some papers i read that suggested there's actually a good amount of nutrition in the mucus.

in particular i found a pdf of

Perspectives on mucus secretion in reef corals
B. E. Brown*, J. C. Bythell

that was very interesting.

I might not put the porites in the Ossff tank, since my CBB oddly died (the xmas worm eater) :-/ . Though I might try the xmas rock in the osff tank when I get a CBB again

Back