WILL i cycle or not ? new 90G with FULLY cured live rock (100lbs) and live sand

3bavboys

lfs owner said water was perfect - after 1 wk of running tank
rock was fully cured
maybe i am reading too much - half of the people say tank is ok , half say cycle must happen , ammonia must spike , etc
just last night took home a total of 4" of fish (4)
a pr of clowns - 1/2" each
a 1" yellow tang
a 2" naso tang
a choc chip strfsh
30 snails , 15 hermit crabs

Re: WILL i cycle or not ? new 90G with FULLY cured live rock (100lbs) and live sand

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6908964#post6908964 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 3bavboys
lfs owner said water was perfect - after 1 wk of running tank
rock was fully cured
maybe i am reading too much - half of the people say tank is ok , half say cycle must happen , ammonia must spike , etc
just last night took home a total of 4" of fish (4)
a pr of clowns - 1/2" each
a 1" yellow tang
a 2" naso tang
a choc chip strfsh
30 snails , 15 hermit crabs

Well you will find out really fast which side was right. With that sort of load added to the system at one time you will find out if your system is good enough yet. If I were a betting man I would say your ammonia is going to spike and possibly kill something. I would keep a very very close eye on things.

Dave

IMO.....you will see a cycle...how big/drastic...thats TBD...but you will see one. I would keep an eye on ammon: readings

going to buy a test kit
won't trust lfs owner that my water was perfect, like last night
any suggestions for a mutli test kit ?

I started a 120 gal tank a little over 2 months ago completely with established rock from my own smaller tank and some rock I got from a local reefer. I still got a little ammonia showing and went through diatoms and bits of algae here and there, along with some cyano. I sure wouldn't have added all those fish knowing that there could even possibly be a cycle. Not worth taking the chance, IMO. Might just as well wait it out to be sure, then stock slowly. I QT my fish before putting them in too, whether they are the first fish in or not.

And, if you're planning on having a reef tank, I'd get rid of the chocolate chip starfish. Not reef safe IME.

Back