Will they breed

reret10

well I have a clownfish just a regular juvinile percula clown and I would like to get another one for my ten gallon tank but if they breed I will have to give the babys to the lfs which I am not sure will take all the babys and well even for a day that is to many clowns in a tank. So bacicly if i put 2 together will they even maybe breed or would that be un heard of?

Breeding is easy, rearing the larvae is whole 'nother story. Unless you seriously work at rearing them in a dedicated larval rearing set up, any hatched out larvae will simply be food for the tank.

Breeding is easy, rearing the larvae is whole 'nother story. Unless you seriously work at rearing them in a dedicated larval rearing set up, any hatched out larvae will simply be food for the tank.

Agreed. Also female clowns don't reach sexual maturity until they're a few years old, and many never breed under normal aquarium conditions

Well said Bill and so, so true. It takes a lot of work, dedication, learning to observe how the larvae/fry are responding to what you are doing. Some of the smallest details that may seem trivial can make the different between failure and success.

I have to attribute my many years of breeding fresh water Angelfish to my success. To be truthful, I think those by far harder to raise than the clownfish.

I have to attribute my many years of breeding fresh water Angelfish to my success. To be truthful, I think those by far harder to raise than the clownfish.

I used breed fresh water Angels about 20 years ago, then I moved on to Discus which I though was a lot cooler. To me with angels it was always what the type of parents. At the top of my craze, I had 4 pairs spawning regularly. A pair of silver, a pair of marbled, a pair of gold, and a pair of black lace veils. I had the most trouble with the black lace veils, their eggs didn't have good hatch rates, maybe I had a bad male? But I was raising around 200 angels a month or so until I switched to Discuses. I grew 3 pairs of discus out of a dozen juvis, and did that for a year or so before the job demands got too much and had to give it up. I got rid of all my pairs and put my fish tanks into storage. Then about 14 years ago I went back to salt water, but I never thought about breeding and raising fry again, until my clowns go busy and I got the bug again. :headwally:

Back