Will this "macro" lens do the trick?

Tommy081708

Hey guys,
New to the photography world here, just received my first DSLR last night, an Olympus E420. I will be reciving a new lens within the week, the ED Zuiko 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6. I've attached a link to the lens. Will this do the trick for those amazing close ups revealing what's unseen to the naked eye? My sole purpose of getting into photography is aquarium macro shots and wildlife/weather. I understand with the 2x zoom its equivalent to 80mm-300mm. Dont really understand the 4.0-5.6. Please be a straight shooter with me, any advice and personal experience greatly accepted!

http://www.frys.com/product/6450352...18o9fagao-ZcLseZGjTTw_dY75IlNdKgHFdFsq1Xw_wcB

That won't work for close ups. The lens with the tube might be ok. Read the macro sticky above.

Yes, that's not a macro lens, so it isn't going to be an ideal choice for close-up photography. Extension tubes are indeed one possible solution. They do have some drawbacks, but they're probably the most cost effective method for close-up photography if you don't want to buy a dedicated lens. As for the f/4.0-5.6, that's referring to the maximum aperture for that lens. Zoomed out to its widest angle (i.e. 40mm), the widest aperture you can select is f/4.0. Zoomed in to it's longest telephoto (i.e. 150mm), the widest aperture you can select is now f/5.6.

Back