Macro lens/camera help

Tommy081708

I know this probably isn't the right place but there's barley anyone on the photography forum.

Hey guys,

New to the photography world here, just received my first DSLR last night, an Olympus E420. I will be reciving a new lens within the week, the ED Zuiko 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6. I've attached a link to the lens. Will this do the trick for those amazing close ups revealing what's unseen to the naked eye? My sole purpose of getting into photography is aquarium macro shots and wildlife/weather. I understand with the 2x zoom its equivalent to 80mm-300mm. Dont really understand the 4.0-5.6. Please be a straight shooter with me, any advice and personal experience greatly accepted!

http://www.frys.com/product/6450352...18o9fagao-ZcLseZGjTTw_dY75IlNdKgHFdFsq1Xw_wcB

I found the olympus ex-25mm extension tube, I've heard its superb with the lens I'm getting but I'm getting mixed info on the "how close you have to be" issue, if you could help me out. I'm going to try the Olympus master software but I'm sure I'll switch to PhotoShop. By a remote you mean remote flash right? I will be getting that and a tripod

The lens is not a macro lens. A true macro lens allows an image on the camera sensor that is one to one with the natural image. Since a full frame sensor is 24 by 35 m (your camera probably has a sensor about half that size. At any rate, images on a full frame can be blown up 25 times with decent resolution (might be pushing it some).

Macro lenses are virtually always fixed focal length generally 60 mm or 105 mm. The are also fixed aperture, usually 2.8.

The lens you show does not focus close enough for close ups let alone macro work. The aperture is pretty large meaning it is a slower lens requiring more light on the subject for accurate focus. Extension tubes are an old work around to allow close ups. They have good optical qualities. But they increase the effective aperture which will require even more light on the subject.

To give you an idea, I believe world wide corals uses a Nikon 105 f 2.8 macro lens for their wysiwyg photos.

There are 3rd party manufacturers who make very good and more affordable macro lenses: tamron, Tokina and sigma.

The lens is not a macro lens. A true macro lens allows an image on the camera sensor that is one to one with the natural image. Since a full frame sensor is 24 by 35 m (your camera probably has a sensor about half that size. At any rate, images on a full frame can be blown up 25 times with decent resolution (might be pushing it some).

Macro lenses are virtually always fixed focal length generally 60 mm or 105 mm. The are also fixed aperture, usually 2.8.

The lens you show does not focus close enough for close ups let alone macro work. The aperture is pretty large meaning it is a slower lens requiring more light on the subject for accurate focus. Extension tubes are an old work around to allow close ups. They have good optical qualities. But they increase the effective aperture which will require even more light on the subject.

To give you an idea, I believe world wide corals uses a Nikon 105 f 2.8 macro lens for their wysiwyg photos.

There are 3rd party manufacturers who make very good and more affordable macro lenses: tamron, Tokina and sigma.

Okay I came across a lens that seems to be what you speak of. Its hard to find an actual macro lens that will fit the e420. Will this lens be what I'm looking for? Its a bit pricy so if the ex 25 will work id rather go that route. I dont like the lighting thing though as alot of pictures I want will be actinics. Here's the lens I found

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/357923...33582510&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=19880599990&veh=sem

I'm assuming the more expensive one will yield better results but it says 2:1 with magnification to 1:1. The cheaper says just straight up 1:1. I dont mind spending the money but it better be quite an improvement lol

You need to know what kind of picture you want. I have a 150 f/2.8 macro which is great for taking pictures of fish eyeballs, but I'd have to stand across the street to get the whole tank.

Shots like this, maybe little closer, maybe a bit farther, anywhere from right up on it to 12" across the tank. Those macro lens' you can't zoom with correct?

Attachments

• 7911115200_c143d3f221.jpg
    7911115200_c143d3f221.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 0
  • Green-Star-Polyp-Spreading.jpg
    Green-Star-Polyp-Spreading.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1
just be aware that the shorter the lens (50mm or 60mm) the closer you will have to be to the subject. 105mm is great although I use a Sigma 150mm 2.8. yes, you will have a harder time finding third party accessories for your camera than you would with a Nikon or Cannon.

I would guess somewhere in the 60mm-105mm range based on those pics you attached. 150mm will be too long. Usually macro lenses are prime (single focal length) but not always. This allows for a lower f-stop.

True, macro lens are generally primes, meaning fixed focal length. In the Canon line, there are 65, 100 and 180mm macro lenses.

However, they are not a fixed aperture. That would be bad. The aperture listed is the largest aperture. While my Canon EF 100mm USM has a maximum aperture of f2.8, it can be closed down to f22.

Those macro lens' you can't zoom with correct?

With all prime lenses, zooming is done with one's feet, meaning one moves one's body and hence the camera closer to the subject. Be aware of the minimum focal distance for the lens. You will not be able to get any closer than that and still have the subject in focus.

Good info guys, thanks. Think I'm going to go with the 50mm ED zuiko. 35 doesn't seem it will cut the shots at certain distances in the tank.

Back