Winter Springs / Sick Grouper Need advice

Darneyg

My grouper lays on bottom of tank a lot and he seems to have trouble breathing (gills open a lot)

Anyone around winter springs / Red Bug-Tuscawilla area that know how to treat sick fish that can come by that would have idea how to treat what is wrong with him appreciate

Had a temperature spike yesterday faulty Heater but he was acting sick even before this

(New Member / New to aquariums )

Darline

Can you post a few water params? Looking for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Phosphate etc...

If you dont own all of these tests, I'm sure one of your friendly LFS's would be willing to testfor a small fee. 5 bucks maybe? I dont know really but you get the point. Make sure you keep the fish in a stable environment until then. Feed lightly.

goo luck..

lue

I agree getting the water tested will help you know what has affected the fish. It will also let you know if you need to make any changes to the tank. I agree again with getting to the LFS to help you out with the test and help you with the changes. The sooner you get the fish treated the better.

Darline..if you need to have the water checked, I'll be at SITC from noon until 7 pm. Bring some water in a new, clean ziploc or other sandwich bag and I'll run a full test, no charge, and see if we can figure out what's going on. Marcye

Thanks Marcye and all - the tank is a 55 Gallon, the grouper is orange with blue spots (minitaus) about 8 inches long

Been testing water regular nitrates nitrite amonia salinity have all been ok- Will test for phosphates if that is in my kit if not will bring in water to store only difference lately was

1.heater fried in tank, found when got up in am a yesterday the heat had spiked to mid 80's - i put on a fan and turned off atinics and day light, then left on only moomlights so tank would cool and did a 20 % water change
then i had to leave for my mom's surgury yesterday am

2. had brownish green hairy algae growing and did a 50% water change and algae scraped all the tank walls just this past saterday before the meeting - other difference was bought water at a different store on the way to the meeting as was closer to my house

3. Algae Problems and fish did not start acting sick till after i had bought things from a private person on boards a week ago( zebra tree, rock with soft coral ,snails, jawfish, oh and green stiff algae that feels like plastic i put in the pump side of my wet dry) i put everything i bought from him with a divider on the far right side if the tank

Do not know if one or all of this attributed - know the heater going bonkers was a problem

( now i know i need to quarentine new stuff before it goes in my main tank ) and need to get grouper and trigger moved to their new tank we got for them but it is not done cyclying yet

Cannot keep snails with them as the trigger and grouper kill all the snails i put on their side of the tank

Also the lights are new could they be too strong for the big grouper fish's eyes and making his one eye swell ( it is the eye that is facing up towards the light the most as he likes to lay flat in the sand a lot?

Got back home tonight after mom's hospital and got her home - ( i take care of my 87 year old mom ) and grouper is a little more active on his side of divider but zebra tree is very wilted looking and the grouper his one eye is still bigger and swolen ( he does eat but seems to have trouble finding the food i give him ( krill and silversliders )

Cleaned a 2nd tank been trying to get ready if need to isolate him - does it need sand or just buy water and move him?

Marcye - will try to get in but my mom is recooping from surgury and would have to find a mom sitter she has meds she has to take every 2 hours tommorow and sees her dr am but will try to find a mom sitter

Thanks
Darline

Darline, are you near the 417/Winter Springs exit? I get on there to get to work each day (I live in Geneva) and if I can get out early enough and you are close enough to there, I can grab a water sample and call you with results. Let me know. Marcye

With a swollen eye it sounds like a bacterial inffection. I would get the grouper into a stable hospital tank with nitrofurizone ASAP. If it gets to far along the grouper may lose his eye.

If it is bacterial, you can use melafix and pimafix, which are non-toxic, harmless to corals and inverts, and helps fish. Could work if you don't have a separate qt tank.

She is setting up a separate quarantine tank and will medicate there. I stopped by last night and his eye is slightly swollen, but she thinks it looks better than it did. It looks like it might have gotten scratched. He's a beautiful fish as are all her others. Craig, I've used the Melfix before also and have had great luck with it as well. BTW, that pink star polyp is awesome...thanks, Marcye

I noticed you have a lionfish listed in your sig.,is it possible that the lionfish poked the grouper? I have found that fish with bulbous or protruding eyes can easily scratch them. I have had a jawfish and recently a starry blenny that had a swollen eye. The jawfish was right after being moved to a different tank. Both healed on their own in a few days with no meds. You don't have any triggers by chance do you? They have been known to attack and even eat the eyes from fish.:eek2:

The lionfish is in another separate 55 gallon tank that would have made sense

I do have a trigger and a grouper togather they are alone , they are usualy buddies and even lay on each other and move sand togather

But once in awhile the grouper gets mad over the food as the trigger steals the groupers food all the time - trying to get the grouper to use a feeding stick but he was handfed before i got him and he wants me to drop food in his mouth but the trigger is so fast he quickly steals it the minute i try to give it to the grouper
so the trigger ends up VERY overfed

His eye looks better today - seems to be getting smaller and it is not red only bigger

Marcye is amazing she came by and the grouper came right up and she pet him and his color is back - she is the benie hinn of fish:)

It was pretty awesome - the grouper is swimming around now
Much more active One eye is still a little bigger but not near as Big

Went to Marcyes shop Sea In the City yesterday - She has some wonderful things - we are lucky to have someone so gifted and KIND

Darline

Back