Wrasse Questions

Fish_Kid99

I want to get a couple of wrasses but I'm not sure which one to get. I want three (1 male 2 female) that may breed in a 55 gallon. If they won't then I don't care. They also need to be very colorful , peacful and somewhat active. Any suggestions?

Wrasses don't mix well with other wrasses. You are going to get mixed thoughts and opinions on this because some people have added more than one wrasse and were ok, others saw a fight to the death until the stronger one comes on top. HTH.

Wrasses don't mix well with other wrasses. You are going to get mixed thoughts and opinions on this because some people have added more than one wrasse and were ok, others saw a fight to the death until the stronger one comes on top. HTH.

This is really dependent on the species and genus. Some wrasse species don't play well with other species, while others like the cirrihilabrus and paracheilinus do well with others of the same species given they're aren't two males and will get along with other species in the genus.

To the OP, you already asked about this and were given suggestions based on what you said you were going to keep in this tank. Starting more threads doesn't go very far as it comes off as you are just waiting to see the answer you are looking for...

I may have missed something; but rainbow wrasse and some type of hogfish are the only wrasse I know of that have ever been bred in captivity.

I don't think a 55 is big enough for a trio of any wrasse; a single wrasse, maybe. When the reproductive hormones kick in, most wrasse are much more aggressive. A trio in a 55 would soon be just a pair, and a single fish a while later. IME & IMO.

To the OP, you already asked about this and were given suggestions based on what you said you were going to keep in this tank. Starting more threads doesn't go very far as it comes off as you are just waiting to see the answer you are looking for...

Yeah I know it doesn't come off well but the last thread was so off-topic that I just decided to ask again. Lol

Fishkid, we want to love you but you just make it so hard. It feels like you don't take advice, you ask questions over and over and, to make it worse, your signature is just so, well, annoying and presumptuous. We want you to have your ultimate 55. Please stop making it harder than it has to be.

I kept a single orange back fairy wrasse in a 60 cube, and when we tried to add another every single time the new wrasse had to find a new home...

We now have a 150 with a Lubbock's, Solerensis, Yellow Wrasse Pair, Whip Fin Fairy and an Exquisite Fairy with no issues.. Everyone is happy...

Moral of the story, stick to one wrasse in your tank unless you want issues.

long fin fairy wrasse (also known as the social wrasse)

I have seen an aquarium with 5 of them - very nice fish.

I also have one with a yellow coris wrasse (my favs)

long fin fairy wrasse (also known as the social wrasse)

I have seen an aquarium with 5 of them - very nice fish.

I also have one with a yellow coris wrasse (my favs)

+1 to yellow corisse. Model citizen in my tank for 3 years running. A great add to any reef tank.

We have a male yellow coris and a female melanurus in our 55, so far they get along fine but it hasn't really been long enough to tell yet. The coris is shy & the melanurus is not, so it could be trouble down the road. You could have a male & 2 female flashers easily in a 55. A lot depends on what other/how many fish you have in there too.

Also, if a thread gets off topic, just steer it back. Your last thread you said you wanted one wrasse.

I have 4 wrasse and would like to add another. I'm thinking a radiant wrasse next.

They were added in this order and over 6 months or so
melanurus, mystery, yellow coris, green coris.

Back