Wrasses

TChristman

Premium Member
My 400+ gallon tank has been cycling for about 12 weeks and I am about to start adding livestock. This is my fourth tank startup and I wanted to give it a lot of time to stabalize.

My first fishes are coming Wednesday. A group of jawfish. Four to be exact.

After a few weeks I plan on adding more fish. Either the basslets or wrasses are going in next. Most likely the basslets.

I want to add the wrasses all at the same time and I want to add a Mystery and Melanarus. I keep going round and round about whether to get flasher or fairy wrasses. What have been your experience with groups of either?

Thanks in advance.

If you want Fairy/Flasher wrasses, I'd skip the Mystery, and 6 line for that matter. It will beat them up, and you'll have to take him out in the long run.

As for adding fairies/flashers, you don't have to add at the same time, but get an acclimation box so they can get acquainted before releasing them and letting the new guy get picked on.

There will be no six line in this tank. I have been down that road before. I have always read that mystery are usually not as aggressive but they are from the same family. Thanks for the heads up. I have never owned a mystery so I have no experience. They are very pretty though. May just skip the fairy or flashers. May just go wtih two Melanarus or maybe even a Radiant.

Yeah, Mystery is definitely another one that needs to be removed if you are going the fairy/flasher route. Good luck on the fish :)

Funny. I have gone round and round. May just take the mystery wrasse out. But they are so neat looking. So are a lot of wrasses though.

I'm a little obsessed. lol

042copy-3.jpg

My 125 gallon reef is going to have three fairy and three flasher wrasses!! Depending on the fairy, flasher and fairy wrasses are more peaceful. There are a couple of species of fairy wrasses that don't play nice with other wrasses very well. Plus in a 400 gallon aquarium you can have lots of the peaceful wrasses!!

bradleyj....that picture may have caused me to change my mind about the mystery wrasse. Looks like there will be a combination of fairy and flasher wrasses. Beautiful picture.

bradleyj...what is your current stock list? What are some of your favorite wrasses in your tank?

That would take me awhile. I have around 35 different fairies, leopards and flashers and a couple others. Along with 7 angels.
I spend more money on fish food than for me and my wife. J/K

024copy.jpg

I would go with melanarus wrasse and mystery wrasse, I had both, they were perfectly fine together. Both are stunning fish. Good luck with what you choose. :bounce3:

Hey Brad!

I don't recall, but do you have....or ever had Tamarins? anampses.....just curious....any insight?

Yea, I have a yellowtail tamarin. She has been with me for about 4 yrs now. Bought her when she was about an inch and a half long. If you can get a healthy one they are fabulouse . They don't ship well I'm afraid. They seem to hurt their mouths during shipping.

07-15-2011034.jpg

Back