WTBorrow: fish trap

Willistein

Anybody have a fish trap I can borrow? I'm in the Spencerport area. I'm trying to remove a coral beauty. I was thinking I may try the hook and bait method too...

Capt_Cully

Large Clear Zip lock. Fold over the outter circumphrance so it stays open. Purse string fishing line around the opening and tie a slip knot on it so that when you yank the line, it cinches closed instantly. Turn off powerheads. Place a small piece of LR or rubble in the bag to weight it down and anchor it. Put food in bag. Be prepared to watch every fish you DON'T want to catch, swim in and out. Eventually your fish will swim in. Yank the line. Fish in a bag. Done.

I tried to catch a Pygmy angel for 3 weeks! Tried this, had him in 15 minutes.

Willistein

Hmmm, I like the zip lock bag idea. I made an inverted pop bottle, but the opening was too small for the CB.

Gary, was hoping no one would ask... ha ha. Crypto. The curse of reef fish keepers. All of the fish went through ich about 4 weeks ago, and some handled it better than others. The yellow tang died, and I'm just sick of dealing with it and watching perfectly healthy fish die. I'm removing all of the fish and putting them in a hospital tank for 8 or 9 weeks to allow the DT to be fish-less and starve the ich out. The first period of hospital tank (30 gal long) will involve the tank transfer method as has been documented to work so well. After that I will observe the fish for a few weeks to see if it was successful. I may try hypo as well, but tank transfer should do the trick. I don't want to do cupramine. There's going to be plenty of time for observation in the hospital tank, just hope i don't lose any others. Inhabitants:
-large ocellaris (3.5")
-small/medium hippo (3.5")
-solarensis wrasse
-Lubbock's Fairy wrasse
-soon to be large coral beauty (4")

I hate to do it to the wrasses especially, since they developed immunity to the ich fairly easily, but in the long run it will be nice to have an ich free tank.

that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Willistein

No, she's always been a model citizen except for being slightly aggressive toward new fish. I thought the wrasses would be tough to catch, but actually the hippo and the CB were the toughest. The hippo is too dang smart. She would see the net in the water and go hide in her sleeping crevice for 10 minutes.

EllieSuz

Premium Member
John at Marine Oasis used to have an acrylic box with a drop lid. I borrowed it years ago, but I don't know if he still has it. You could give him a call.

One more thing, keep your tank fallow for 72 days...eight or nine weeks isn't quite long enough.

block head

I have some walmart bags you can have.:spin3: seriously, the bags work better. Like many things , location matters. I like corners or pinch points.

Willistein

Ok so last night I tried a tiny hook and bit of shrimp for probably an hour with no luck. I also made a new fish trap with a larger opening but she wouldn't go for it. So this morning I drained the tank 3/4 of the way. Removed half the rock and finally netted her. Good thing is I was able to do a 20 gal water change and pull aBUNCH of crap out. FUN!