Yellow Tang & Blue Hippo Tang together?

I cant believe what I just read. Maybe all those people who want to stop the SW aquarium hobby are right... to many irresponsible aquarists. This is where one of the guys who overstocks or stocks incorrectly will chime in and tell me that I'm crazy because they know their fish are happy being cramped in an inappropriate sized tank.

Plain and simple tangs get big I also have a 90 gallon reef and I have a blue hippo tang and I have had her for 3 to 4 years she has a scorpion fish,hog fish,two green chromes,a tomato clown (female) a yellow and a dwarf lion fish and I can still add some fish with no problem it matters how active your fish are how much waste they create and if your filter can keep up with them. I also have a 135 with a three foot coral banded bamboo shark with angles and tangs and they have been there for three years no problem I also have a 75 bow front with a full grown dog face puffer a full grown panther grouper three feet big and a three foot snow flake eel and they have been there for as years and I have a 35 gallon nano reef and every single one of my tanks has had no problems with fighting over space. So I would say go ahead and put them in there you would be fine just take good care of them and have a really good filter. And plenty of hiding spots and very good water flow
Not sure you know how to recognize a problem.

Plain and simple tangs get big I also have a 90 gallon reef and I have a blue hippo tang and I have had her for 3 to 4 years she has a scorpion fish,hog fish,two green chromes,a tomato clown (female) a yellow and a dwarf lion fish and I can still add some fish with no problem it matters how active your fish are how much waste they create and if your filter can keep up with them. I also have a 135 with a three foot coral banded bamboo shark with angles and tangs and they have been there for three years no problem I also have a 75 bow front with a full grown dog face puffer a full grown panther grouper three feet big and a three foot snow flake eel and they have been there for as years and I have a 35 gallon nano reef and every single one of my tanks has had no problems with fighting over space. So I would say go ahead and put them in there you would be fine just take good care of them and have a really good filter. And plenty of hiding spots and very good water flow

Sure you do. So there is a puffer that gets over a foot and a grouper that gets to be over a foot in a half all in a 75 bow? Don't want to waste any more of my time breaking down the rest of your list. But, glad that you think it is all "no problem"

No probelm keeping them together other than the blue WILL out grow the tank. In my 400 G I had 4 yellows, one blue, and two Naso's along with several other fish and they all got along fine. The Naso's were 12" + for the Male and 10" + for the female. My blue was about 9".

Point being is every one has their deferent experiences and my 125 is very wide and long it's not so tall. And two my 90 gal reef is so not over stocked my blue hippo is 6 inches my yellow tang is about 6 and my scorpion fish is full grown my tomato clown is full grown I just got rid of my hog fish though and so far as my 75 they have not fought or got sick. My 125 is doing really good no problems. But hey I dot manage the 125 the tank I deal with is my 90 the other two is not my problem and I don't over stock the only reason why they put how many gallons the fish needs is for a guid line. Now I think with my blue hippo tang has a dissorter because she has stayed the same size for 2 years and not budge a inch and I do not under feed her to so I got lucky there that's why I say every one has their own experiances with their fish

...... Now I think with my blue hippo tang has a dissorter because she has stayed the same size for 2 years and not budge a inch and I do not under feed her to so I got lucky there that's why I say every one has their own experiances with their fish

So, you think it has a disorder, as opposed to it being stressed by being in too small of a tank, is that correct?

So, you think it has a disorder, as opposed to it being stressed by being in too small of a tank, is that correct?
I read Bob Fenner's post, http://www.wetwebmedia.com/paracant.htm , about the Regal Blue/ Hippo Tang, and he states they get to a foot in the wild and half that in captivity.

I would avoid overstocking a tank, especially ones with tangs, because they use a lot of O2. If you have a power failure and don't have a backup system, I don't know how long they will last. But my guess would be not as long as fish with lower O2 demand.

Where growth is stunted there is a biological reason -- it's not because the universe fairy waves her magic wand when she sees a hippo tang in a 75. One reason a fish's growth can be stunted is that stress produces chemicals in the blood that inhibit growth hormone. I don't think I buy the theory that GH excreted into the water in a closed system inhibits the fish's production of GH's. If that were the case, it seems like all of our fishes would demonstrate some level of growth stunting.

But it doesn't matter to me what causes it - stunting for an animal does not usually equal good health.

Add the yellow 2nd, yes they will co-exist. I currently have both in my 180 and are thriving.

Don't tell anyone theres also 2 other tangs in there though.

If she was stressed she would get ICH and all that good stuff and what's half of 12 it's 6 and I get exallent water flow and a back up source as well.

If she was stressed she would get ICH and all that good stuff and what's half of 12 it's 6 and I get exallent water flow and a back up source as well.

If there isn't Ick present in your system, and not already "on" the fish, it just won't pop up out of nowhere.

I keep a hippo in my 20 gal nano ;) Granted he's an inch long and its my QT tank. :lolspin:

Seriously though people are shouting about max size as if tang owners are going out and purchasing full grown Naso's, hippos, etc and putting those in their 75's. It takes more than a few weeks for a 1-3 inch specimen to reach full maturity or even puberty...err..the fish equivalent. Don't just flame someone for having a 3 inch regal in a "small" system without all of the facts. For instance they may be in the middle of setting up a larger tank. Or they may have a reef club buddy that will gladly take the mature tang off of their hands.

Now if someone brings home a 6 inch tang and sticks it in their 55 then thats bad LFS practice...which would NEVER happen ever ever... :lolspin:

I keep a hippo in my 20 gal nano ;) Granted he's an inch long and its my QT tank. :lolspin:

Seriously though people are shouting about max size as if tang owners are going out and purchasing full grown Naso's, hippos, etc and putting those in their 75's. It takes more than a few weeks for a 1-3 inch specimen to reach full maturity or even puberty...err..the fish equivalent. Don't just flame someone for having a 3 inch regal in a "small" system without all of the facts. For instance they may be in the middle of setting up a larger tank. Or they may have a reef club buddy that will gladly take the mature tang off of their hands.

Now if someone brings home a 6 inch tang and sticks it in their 55 then thats bad LFS practice...which would NEVER happen ever ever... :lolspin:
I wish I was so optimistic. On this board saying you have a hippo in a 75 but you'll be upgrading in a year is sort of like saying it's in the mail. lol There are just some fish that should be left in the ocean. So many get too big for our biggest tanks. People just don't seem to be able to visualize what these fish will be like even if they get a 400g -and seriously how many of us ever get such a big tank?

My LFS has some big tangs - like 9 in and they are in a very long winding 4000 g tank and it looks about right. Another store has a long L shaped 400g and with the same thing 8-9 in unicorn tang. It makes the tank look small and the fish look cramped. it would be one of the most spectacular tanks I've ever seen if they would just get that poor tang out of there.

I didn't have time to hunt through a bunch of videos, so this is not the perfect example.
Buying these huge fish is so incredibly shortsighted

How sad is this video:
<object width="480" height="390">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4SGzbZt3YkQ?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></object>

In case anyone is not aware, that is not the normal healthy demeanor for that fish. It is truly very hard to watch.

It's no different than someone tying a dog to a tree or leaving them in a crate 8 hours while their at work. Is it right? Nope. But it's their pet, so what can you/I really do?

People will always tie dogs to trees, people will always put big fish in little tanks. I think 90% of people know that a specific tang will get too big for their tank; they just don't care.

Nothing anybody says will change their mind.

Back