Yellow Tang vs One Spot Foxface.

Zionas

Hi everyone, as I am finalizing my fish list for my 6' 180, I will be making a decision on a 4th and final larger fish after my trio of Pyramid Butterflies. While originally I had decided on a Yellow Tang, I am now more and more inclined towards a One Spot Foxface because I heard it's more peaceful and not laterally compressed so maybe life would be easier for the trio of Yellow Pyramids.

In your opinion, which is the better fish in terms of hardiness, temperament, disease resistance, and suitability for a new reefer with a new tank?

I've got both in my tank and neither ever fights with any other fish, though I don't likely have the same stock as you. In my observation the foxface eats 10x as much algae (and fish food) as the yellow tang. Has a monstrous appetite. It literally picks at the rocks the entire day nonstop, and if my hand even so much as approaches the feeding ring it sticks it's snout out of the water to try and take the pellets directly from my hand. I'll be honest though I get nervous putting my full arm in the water because it goes on defense and aims its spikes at me the whole time and gets very skittish. Even after owning it for 5 years and me fragging corals several times a week it still doesn't trust me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had a foxface go freakazoid and kill several fish: cause was just ordinary growth---I suspect the trigger was that he reached a point where a fish of his increasing size could get cornered in my rockwork touched him off. And that barb is lethal. Be sure you don't have U-turns built into the rockwork.

Back