Zebra Moray Question

demariners

Work In Progress
So I have a Large Snowflake eel I have had for a long time. Probably 2 years. He is about 3-4 feet long. I saw a great Zebra Moray at the LFS. I have heard all sorts of stories about them. First will it fight with the snowflake? Would it be a bad idea to add it? The Zebra I see at the store are quite large as well. Also I heard they are difficult to care for. Should I go ahead and get it? Thank you.

First, how big is your tank?

I kept a snowflake and zebra together for years, but the zebra was by far the larger eel. I assume they would have kept getting along, but obviously I don't know for sure. If an eel causes a problem it would be the snowflake, though.

Zebra morays are very docile, and I don't forsee a problem. I kept a zebra moray and a Brazilian dragon moray together for several years in a 210 with no issues.

There is usually an adjustment period to a new tank, but they are quite easy to stick feed.

Mine occasionally went on a hunger strike in the 12+ years I had him, but not often. He ate much less than the somewhat smaller Brazilian dragon moray. The BDM out-ate the zebra at least 5:1. The zebra was not nearly as food aggressive. Also, slower to find food on a feeding stick, sometimes I had to bump his nose with it. We called him Mr. Magoo. I recommend feeding frozen only, stick feeding all eels and, if you keep them with fish, avoid fish flesh. This seems to keep things more civil and avoids feeding frenzies where someone can get hurt.

Back