Zetlight

14 watts seems very weak! I have a 165 watt LED on my 10 gal but keep it reduced to 40% power. I keep my tanks covered and just put the fixtures right on top of the cover.

I think the watt is weak as well, inactually have wavepoint blade under the hood in my 6g cube and it is similar to this and has a little more wattage.i have it in there for about 5 pr 6 months now and it grows my mushrooms, xenia, anthalia fine. So faf no heat issues.

The Wavepoint looks similar with 18w versus 16 watts on the Zetlight. I see on Amazon the Wavepoint comes in different Kelvins.

This one looked better than the 6500K.
https://www.amazon.com/Point-Blade-...74931146&sr=8-5&keywords=wave+point+led+light

If you can spare a picture I'd appreciate it. I'm trying to get a sense of how much light it would really give off in the tank. Obviously at 14 gallons my Biocube is bigger.

I'm looking for an easy way to put LEDs into my Biocube 14 that I'm only intend to keep some low care corals in.

I picked up a used ReefBreeders last week that I have over my 20L that I keep completely dialed down, however this is my first experience with LEDs. I like the fact that you can play with the color and the intensity. I also like the fact that you don't have to change the bulbs, but I want to see how the soft corals react under this light over time.

I have the super blue/10k 6inch blade light inside the 6g biocube hood. Keep in mind that the wavepoint blade has one power plug but has two switches, one for the blue n one for the 10k. I have the coralife biocube 29 as well n i am thinking anout using the ai prime inside the hood if i can fine s good price on a use one. I want to be able to keep lps n sps as well as btas.

http://m.marinedepot.com/products/zp01407/wave-point-blade-ho-led-aquarium-light-super-blue-10k.

picture.php

Last edited:
Thank you for the response and the picture. I think the intensity looks fine. What did you have to do to put it in the hood? Did you just take the PC bulbs out or did you have to remove the lighting "sockets" or whatever you call them that the PC bulbs go into? Did you put it in the clear acrylic cover for the PC bulbs or did you remove that and screw it into the hood? I pictured it inside the clear acrylic cover to avoid moisture.

It's encouraging that you have had it in the hood for 6 months and it's still working without a heat issue.

i have it on a timer runs 9 or 10hrs i think. I remove bulbs n use double sided tape on two opposite corners and it sits on the screw pegs, it is a little secure to prevent it from moving around. On yours you might have more room n probably can secure it better. I remove the arm on the light, Yes it is inside the clear cover, so nothing was modified. The light is pretty thin, less than an inch, i also kept the glass on for the wavepoint blade, if u need too u can remove it, but i like it with it on.

Last edited:
i have it on a timer runs 9 or 10hrs i think. I remove bulbs n use double sided tape on two opposite corners and it sits on the screw pegs, it is a little secure to prevent it from moving around. On yours you might have more room n probably can secure it better. I remove the arm on the light, Yes it is inside the clear cover, so nothing was modified. The light is pretty thin, less than an inch, i also kept the glass on for the wavepoint blade, if u need too u can remove it, but i like it with it on.

I received a Wavepoint Blade today and now I have to figure out how to mount it in the hood. I turned it on and held it over my tank. The amount of light emitted seemed fine and it will produce a shimmer effect as well.

Would you mind posting a picture of the inside of your hood. I'm wondering if I need to tie it in with wire. Did you use 3m tape like the stuff used for car wind screens or window vents?

Yes, 9" 18 watts. I'm looking forward to installing it this weekend. I hope the shimmer doesn't bother anyone when we are watching tv as the tank is on the same wall.

Heres a picture, not sure if it will help. Yes i use the double sided 3m tape on top on 4 one inch peg to help secure. Than on the glass side i use the pc clip holder to secure it, so it doesnt fall on the protection cover.

picture.php

picture.php

The price is right so far it did not loose its brightness like the trulumens.so fyi, do not buy those trulumen with three led lights, they die after a few weeks or loose its brightness. I was trying to use it as a moon light.

Last edited:
You did a nice install. I stopped by the hardware store today and bought some coated wire. I loosened the screws on the light and wrapped the wire around them. The other end of the wire I wrapped around the endcaps for the PC bulbs and the clips on the other side. Then I screwed the acrylic cover back on but I'm afraid I will get moisture in there because the wire keeps the cover from closing airtight. I either need to squeeze some silicon in the opening or dremel a hole for the wire in the acrylic shield and then squeeze some silicon in there.

I was happy to get the light in with such little fuss and think it will work fine for my purposes.

Thanks again for your help.

My 6g is a different brand, so not sure how the biocube 14 cables are, but on mine i was able to fish it through the eexisting cable holes. Maybe you can drill or poke a small hole big enough to fish it through so your cover can close properly.

Back